Women's Campaign International
Position Type: Board (Unpaid)
Primary domain: International/Foreign Affairs
Postal code: 19102
Country: United States
$0 - $1M
Working in emerging democracies and post-conflict regions around the world, Women’s Campaign International (WCI) is a not-for-profit organization that works to equip women to actively participate in public advocacy, market and political processes. In providing the requisite skills, knowledge, and culturally sensitive support, we develop leaders globally who transform the lives of everyone they serve.
Women’s Campaign International is currently seeking new members for its Board of Directors. WCI Board Members’ primary responsibility is to support the organization’s mission to break down barriers and get women "a seat at the table" in economic development, political decision making and civil society. Through direct training, advocacy, and mentoring, WCI has built the capacity of 500,000 individuals--women, men, and children--to transform their communities.
Position: The Board Member position is a volunteer role supporting the work of Women’s Campaign International and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by WCI’s President and Senior Advisor, the Board-President relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Board members are to utilize their individual skills, knowledge, expertise, and/or community relationships to support WCI. Board members act as advocates and representatives of the organization. WCI’s Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by WCI for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Evaluates the organization’s operations and overall performance in achieving the mission and strategic plan.
- Passionate with understanding and commitment to the promotion of the organization’s mission.
- Be familiar with the organization’s programs, policies, and operations.
- Attend and actively participate in at least 75% of board meetings and appropriate committee meetings.
- Review agenda and supporting documents prior to meetings.
- Participate in fund development activities and special events.
- Meet with potential donors/funders to make a case for funding the organization, answer questions, etc.
- Works cooperatively with fellow Board Members to complete the Board’s work in a timely manner.
- Ensures that her or his participation contributes to the effective operation of the Board and the success of WCI by focusing exclusively on the best interests of the Board, maintaining objectivity in all deliberations, and supporting all Board decisions once they are made.
- Assisting the President, Senior Advisor, and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other board members.
- Representing WCI to external community stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
- Ensuring WCI’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities WCI serves.
- A commitment to and understanding of WCI’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience.
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of WCI’s beneficiaries.
- Desire to bring diverse perspectives, energy, knowledge and skills to the Board.
- Extensive professional experience with significant leadership accomplishments. Individuals with a background in academia, business, finance, government, information technology, philanthropy, legal, or marketing especially invited to apply for board membership.
- Individuals from historically disenfranchised backgrounds encouraged to apply.
Unpaid Board Position
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To be considered, please submit a CV and a cover letter to be reviewed by Executive Director, Dr. Cecilia Cardesa via email.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert