Director of Finance and Administration
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Youth Development
Postal code: 94621
Country: United States
B:E’s mission is to support Alameda County’s current and former foster and probation youth to make successful transitions to adulthood and living independently.Our Purpose
Our purpose is to provide a transformational environment for transition-age youth who have experience in the foster care or probation placements so they can live healthy, productive and connected lives.
We believe all youth deserve the ability to live healthy, connected, and productive lives. At Beyond Emancipation (B:E), we provide a transformational environment and essential resources for transition-aged youth who have experience in foster care or probation placements to support their efforts to move toward independent adulthood. Under our unique partnership to operate Alameda County Social Services’ Independent Living Program, we have the substantial advantage of engaging youth for an entire decade of their lives, from ages 14 to 24.
Founded in 1995, our program services include access to safe host and community housing, post-secondary educational supports, and one-on-one and small group coaching in the areas of life skills, health and wellness, and employment training. All programs are delivered using our signature youth-empowerment, strength-based coaching approach: “Creative, Connected, Resourceful, Whole”, created and adopted in 2010. This innovative and successful coaching model provides the information, skills, and supports that enable youth to build resiliency and take responsibility for their own planning and decisions, leading to long-lasting positive change.
We’re proud of our impactful program, which the International Coaching Federation recently recognized for innovation in coaching, coach training, and positive impact on foster youth. In addition to support from Alameda County Social Services Agency, we receive generous funding from foundations, corporate partners, and we have recently tripled support from individuals. As the only organization of our kind in Alameda County, we’ve grown to now proudly support over 800 youth a year.
We seek a collaborative and experienced leader to join our senior leadership team, which includes the Executive Director, Director of Development, and Director of Programs. The new Director of Finance and Administration will lead financial management strategy and process, and oversee human resources, in order to promote a team culture focused on accountability, clear expectations, and equitable HR practices. Reporting to the Executive Director, the new Director of Finance and Administration will supervise and support the development of an Accounts Payable Associate as well as a full-time HR and Operations Manager.
- Supervise financial management practices, including all aspects of budget management, proposal development and reporting, including delivering training to all staff on the creation and approval of departmental budgets
- Educate and train staff and management ineffective financial reporting
- Supervise Accounts Payable staff and the essential functions of accounts receivable, accounts payable, expense reports, billing, and payroll
- Lead the annual audit process, in coordinating with an independent accounting firm, to ensure funder compliance and financial best practices
- Lead full-cycle recruiting, from outreach to onboarding
- Lead staff training and performance management strategy and process
- Update HR policies and procedures to promote employee health and retention, as well as risk management and legal compliance
- Ensure equitable resource allocation by updating compensation policies
- Provide strategic human resources direction to organizational growth and development, in cooperation with the senior leadership team
- Develop and implement new human resources policies and processes that support team and individual performance, health, and accountability
- Supervise core functions (online HR platform, benefits, employee reviews)
- Lead the continuous improvement of operations policies and systems in order to support organizational decision-making in the areas of facilities, procurement, and supplies such as youth transportation passes and gift cards
OUR TEAM, BENEFITS, AND COMPENSATION
We are proud of our team culture: friendly and informal, fast-paced, and mission-focused. We all share a deep commitment to our urgent mission; we are here explicitly to serve young people who have experienced a high degree of instability. As a community we shift the life trajectories of youth who have been failed by adult-driven systems and institutions, and we prepare youth for success through our unique and empowering service delivery approach. Our generous benefits package includes 80% paid employee health and dental insurance and 50% dependent coverage. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience in the range of 90-110K.
ATTRACTING CANDIDATES OF ALL BACKGROUNDS
Beyond Emancipation strongly encourages people from all backgrounds, especially people of color and people with experience with the foster care system, to apply for this position. No matter your background, the person selected for this role must embrace and value equity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and we seek to develop a diverse workforce.
We recognize that in order to better serve our clients we need to continue to build an organization that supports, understands, and lives diversity - in our staffing and in our values. Our commitment to a coaching model is a step towards building a supportive community and we encourage diverse candidates who will be a leader in integrating our work and values to transform the lives of our clients.
- 5-7+ years of progressive experience in nonprofit financial management, including budget management and strategic decision making to create a healthy organization
- Experience overseeing nonprofit human resources, including creating new policies
- Demonstrated commitment to our mission, especially amplifying youth voices
- Passion for creating and implementing policies, procedures, and systems
- Experience managing staff, including approaches that increase accountability
- Ability to communicate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels.
- Experience managing government contracts a plus
- Strong financial acumen, including the ability to interpret financial data
- Experience working closely with a Board of Directors
We are proud of our team culture: friendly and informal, fast-paced, and mission-focused. We all share a deep commitment to our urgent mission; we are here explicitly to serve young people who have experienced a high degree of instability. As a community, we shift the life trajectories of youth who have been failed by adult-driven systems and institutions, and we prepare youth for success through our unique and empowering service delivery approach. Our generous benefits package includes 80% paid employee health and dental insurance and 50% dependent coverage. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience in the range of 90-110K.
$90k - 100k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please email cover letter and resume to [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert