The Veatch Program
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Foundation/Grantmaking
Postal code: 11030
State: New York
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
The Unitarian Universalist Veatch Program at Shelter Rock is the national philanthropic giving program of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation at Shelter Rock in Manhasset, New York. We have been a leader in progressive philanthropy since 1959. We provide long-term general support for non-profit organizations throughout the United States that reflect the values and philosophy of Unitarian Universalism. Veatch grantees are building the base for progressive social change in the United States, including engaging in constituent-led organizing, civic engagement and advocacy efforts. We are a multi-issue funder, including support for environmental justice, worker rights, gender justice, racial equity and immigrant rights.
For the latest Veatch annual report including a list of current grantees please visit: www.uucsr.org/programs/philanthropy/veatch-program/.
About the Position
The Operations Manager is responsible for the overall management and supervision of day-to-day operations for a $12.5 million/200 grantees, national grant making program.The Operations Manager is charged with creating, improving and overseeing the tools, systems and policies to support optimal grantmaking of the Veatch program.In addition, the Operations Manager oversees administrative functions and staff, human resource management and process design, internal efficiency, Board experience, budget and financial administration, grant making processes and data system integration. The Operations Manager is a full-time position and reports directly to the Executive Director of the Veatch Program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Operations Manager is a critical position with wide-ranging responsibilities within the Veatch Program. Key duties and responsibilities include:
Grant Making Systems
- Oversee the development, with program staff, of the design, refinement and maintenance of grant making processes for all grants programs.
- Manage the application process, grants information and process grants data using Foundant, the current grants management system (GMS).
- Develop and maintain all reporting and data management through efficient systems.
- Engage vendors and staff in developing new digital systems for staff communication and contact management, including Salesforce.
- Manage the completion of the grant making dockets, and Board packets.
- Serve as operations team leader and supervisor to support engagement of all Veatch staff, as well as full implementation of workflow and use of systems.
- Maintain sound practices and manage staff and consultants on conducting financial due diligence with grantees.
- Develop and manage consultant contracts and relationships with outside vendors.
- Develop and oversee internal employee practices, goal setting, benchmarks and evaluation processes, in collaboration with the Executive Director and the congregation’s systems.
- Directly supervise operations and administrative staff.
- Coordinate with Executive Director on hiring for new staff.
- Ensure that the responsibility for each staff position is defined and understood.
- Manage time sheets and payroll reporting for operations staff.
- Be available to partner with and assume the responsibilities of the Executive Director when he/she is unavailable.
- Engage with Board members to ensure their preparation for their responsibilities.
- Attend Board meetings and retreats as needed.
- Delegate and supervise administrative preparations for Board meetings and retreats.
- Engage with the Executive Director and program team in strategic planning and program oversight.
Board Support, Congregational Engagement and Communication
- Support the execution of education programs for the Veatch Board and congregation.
- Staff any Board task forces and subcommittees as needed.
Finance and Budget
- Advise the Executive Director on financial matters.
- Establish and maintain budget development and monitoring systems and reports for grant allocations and administrative costs.
- Oversee staff compliance as well as efficient coordination with the congregation’s finance office for expenses, invoices and contracts.
- Maintain relationships with peer managers to stay connected to developments in the field.
- Keep professional expertise current relative to issues and program areas.
- Bring current knowledge and learning into the Veatch Program’s operations.
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Graduate degree or equivalent relevant professional experience preferred.
- At least 8-10 years of experience in operations and administration as outlined, including integration of operations with program development and organizational policies and practices.
- Prior experience working with foundations and grant making systems preferred.
- Experience managing distributed/remote teams is a plus.
- Able to support and work with individuals and organizations representing a mix of racial, ethnic, religious and socio-economic backgrounds.Excellent writing and verbal communications skill, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Capacity for taking initiative and working both independently and collaboratively.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to oversee the development of a data system, and other complex projects.
- Multi-faceted. Able to manage and meet competing deadlines and a fast pace.Team approach, strong collaboration skills, high social and relational capacity, and positive attitude.
- Understanding and acceptance of the philosophy and values of Unitarian Universalism and the program priorities of the UU Veatch Program.
- Excellent computer skills specifically with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience using videoconferencing and other technology to support virtual teams.
- Knowledge of grant making systems such as Foundant and CRM’s such as Salesforce.
Competitive salary based on experience, with excellent benefits.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert