Chief Finance & Operations Officer
Council of Michigan Foundations
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Foundation/Grantmaking
Postal code: 48207
Country: United States
The Council of Michigan Foundations is a community of philanthropists committed to improving outcomes for Michigan, and beyond. Through investing in the state's charitable organizations, convening business, government and nonprofit leaders, collaborating on critical issues, seeking innovative solutions, sharing knowledge and advocating, we leverage our collective voice to increase the impact of Michigan philanthropy.
The Council of Michigan Foundations (CMF), Michigan’s leading resource for philanthropy, seeks nominations and applications for the position of Chief Finance & Operations Officer (CFOO). Stewarding finance, operations and investments, the CFOO will report directly to the CEO and serve as an important senior leader in a dynamic, evolving leadership organization.
Over the next few years, CMF will advance a new vision that will change the way CMF engages and supports Michigan’s philanthropic community. The next chapter will include an updated business model, a new organizational footprint, a modern talent agenda, and new policies that support CMF’s values and aspirations as a 21st century leadership organization. The CFOO will play a critical role in the success of this transformation of one of the nation’s leading philanthropy-serving organizations. The CFOO will be a strategic and innovative thinker who understands the complexities of a membership organization serving the philanthropic sector. They will partner closely with the CEO and provide support to the board finance and investment committees in the strategic stewardship of the organization. The CFOO will lead and work closely with a group of seasoned directors responsible for finance, grants and information management, reception and facilities, information technology, membership administration, and talent and culture to adapt CMF’s internal systems for impact, agility, and sustainability. Leadership experience, transparency, and emotional intelligence in collaborating with internal and external stakeholders are crucial along with the ability to inspire and manage high-performing teams. The CFOO will embrace and help to advance CMF’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and foster a culture of curiosity, innovation, excellence, and purpose in a time of transformation.
For a full position description, please visit: https://nonprofitprofessionals.com/current-searches-all/cmf-cfoo
CMF’s significant transformation process involves every area of the organization. Along with deep financial and operational acumen, the successful candidate will also be a strategist and an innovator who understands the complexities of a membership organization that supports philanthropy. While no one candidate will embody all the qualifications enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Innovative leader with proven track record of effective, transparent and engaging leadership in a dynamic, complex organization;
- Strong skills and experience in finance, accounting, and investment monitoring and controls;
- Experience with nonprofit finances and customer focused portfolios preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to drive institutional goals and aspirations;
- Entrepreneurial mindset and analytical, problem solving abilities;
- Experience managing complex operations in a multi-campus environment;
- Excellent communicator with demonstrated written, verbal and interpersonal skills;
- Customer service mindset and demonstrated ability to communicate, influence and develop meaningful relationships with stakeholders;
- Understanding of philanthropy (grant makers and donors) and the nonprofit sector and their unique business models;
- Knowledge of Michigan philanthropy, the values of the field, and CMF’s role in advancing them preferred;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong collaboration and facilitation skills;
- Ability to steward a talent agenda that ensures CMF can attract and retain the top talent in the field; and
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and the desire to advance equity in the work of the organization.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
This search is being conducted with assistance from Linh Nguyen, Katherine Jacobs, and Vanita Bhargava of NPAG. Due to the pace of this search, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Applications, including a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in PDF or Word format) and where you learned of the position, should be submitted to: [email protected]. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type your name (Last, First) as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail. The Council of Michigan Foundations recognizes the incredible benefits of a diverse and inclusive team and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert