Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 94607
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
The Education Trust–West (ETW) works for educational justice and high academic achievement of all students at all levels, pre-K through college. ETW exposes opportunity and achievement gaps that separate students of color, English learners, and low-income students from their peers, and they identify and advocate for the strategies that will forever close those gaps. ETW works alongside schools, districts, college campuses, and higher education institutions to understand and evaluate the effectiveness of reform strategies intended to reduce and eliminate achievement and opportunity gaps. They use lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, to drive a state and national conversation about how our P-12 education system and higher education institutions can better serve all students. To learn more, please visit www.edtrustwest.org.
The Education Trust–West (ETW) is considering candidates for a Policy Analyst position to support the organization’s efforts by conducting policy analysis and advocacy. The successful candidate will actively monitor the landscape, support the development of memos, letters, and publications; collaborate with colleagues to develop policy positions that will advance educational equity in California; and represent ETW in policy discussions and stakeholder meetings. This successful candidate will be a member of the Research and Policy Analysis team and will report to the Director of P-16 Education Policy.
The successful candidate will bring legislative, policy advocacy, school-based or institutional experience and expertise in one or more of the following P-16 education policy focus areas:
● Early education: Equitable access to and funding for high-quality preschool
● K-12 education: STEM access and equity, with a focus on math equity and statewide curriculum
● Higher education: Financial aid awareness & outreach or statewide policy
● Cross-cutting: Development and implementation of statewide data system, with an emphasis on integration of early childhood education data, or effective data ecosystem practices
Due to COVID, this position will start remotely, but this position will be based in Oakland, California, at the appropriate time when our offices re-open.
● Perform policy analysis and develop policy recommendations in a variety of education policy areas. This includes:
o Developing written policy briefs, statements, and letters
o Informing the organization’s policy positions by monitoring and reporting policy conversation across government, media, think tanks, academia, and advocates
o Advocating for the organization’s positions by representing the organization in external meetings and developing relationships with key stakeholders
● In response to legislative, regulatory, institutional, and other policy proposals, prepare memos, letters, and statements summarizing ETW positions, analyses, and recommendations
● Collaborate with external partners to deepen ETW’s policy expertise, develop our policy positions, build our networks, and expand our influence
● Conceptualize and develop tools and resources that make complex policy information accessible to a broad array of stakeholders to support their local advocacy and engagement
● Other duties as assigned that support the mission and work of the organization
Qualifications and Experience
● This position requires a bachelor’s degree or comparable experience conducting policy analysis and advocacy on issues related to equity and one or more of ETW’s policy pillars
● Familiarity with the California education policy landscape including early education, K-12 education, or higher education legislative, regulatory, and governing bodies and decisionmakers
● Exceptional writing and communication skills
● Ability to work independently and collaboratively in collecting and evaluating information to support policy advocacy, often in time-sensitive situations
● Strong organizational skills and knowledge to coordinate several projects simultaneously and track complex tasks across multiple stakeholders
● A demonstrated ability to plan effectively, but the flexibility to handle the unexpected
● Strong computer skills; proficient or advanced skills in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), Asana, and the Internet
● Passion for improving the educational opportunities and outcomes for low-income students and students of color coupled with a strong knowledge of social justice and equity-related issues;
● Self-starter mentality and the ability to both work independently and foster collaborative working relationships
● A demonstrated commitment to excellence
● Ability to execute and exhibit good judgment
● The intellectual strength and curiosity to understand and appreciate the varied and complex educational policy landscape, and the ability to translate that understanding to the layperson
● An optimistic outlook and a flexible, innovative nature
● Commitment to “Walking the Talk,” which means operating with – and a willingness to develop – cultural competence, and understanding that systemic and institutionalized racism significantly affect communities of color and the historical impact of privilege and power on American systems, and sensitivity, humility, and a willingness to self-reflect
The Education Trust–West offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please provide a cover letter, short writing sample (1-3 pages max) and resume. Your cover letter should describe your background, relevant experience, and your alignment with the mission. In the file name, please write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “Policy Analyst_Wu”
Please submit your applications materials using the link below.
The Education Trust-West is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert