Care 2 Communities
Position Type: Board (Unpaid)
Primary domain: Healthcare
Postal code: 02108
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
Haiti is the Western Hemisphere’s poorest nation, suffering from a chronic cycle of economic, social, and governance crises. Haiti’s infant and maternal mortality rates remain stubbornly high and life expectancy is the lowest in Latin America and the Caribbean. In a country where 1 in 14 children will die before the age of 5 and access to healthcare is extremely challenging innovative solutions are urgently needed.
Care 2 Communities (C2C) has created a scalable model for sustainable, high-quality, community-based primary healthcare in Haiti. Our care model meets the health needs of poor and low-income families, delivering high-quality, low-cost primary care and maternal health services. C2C’s first community clinic opened in 2013 and we currently operate a network of 7 clinics (with plans for significant expansion), which serves over 35,000 people every year.
C2C’s network of clinics, through a public private partnership (PPP) with the Haitian Ministry of Health, offers care at efficient ‘one-stop-shop’ facilities (pharmaceuticals, lab tests and patient treatment all in one place). We believe that community clinics can and should be efficient, responsive, and cost-effective. C2C clinics employ local clinicians and are maintained by local supply chains. While philanthropy covers initial start-up costs of new clinics, affordable patient fees help cover clinic costs moving forward. Each C2C clinic is staffed by a team of talented Haitian physicians, nurses, lab techs, and health-workers; we have over 50 staff members in Haiti delivering care at clinic sites and health education and social support at the community level.
C2C Board Member Role Description
In order to ensure that the C2C Board of Directors is fulfilling its governance role, all Board members are expected to adhere to the following duties:
Mission and Advocacy:
- Actively support and promote C2C’s mission, vision, strategic goals and policy positions.
- Act as a passionate ambassador for C2C in the community.
- Stay informed about the organization’s current programs and issues through active communication and Committee work
- Attend and participate actively in all scheduled annual Board meetings and engage in preparatory work conducted in advance of meeting dates (telephonic participation will be considered for Directors out-of-state)
- Attend and participate actively in all Committee meetings
- Represent C2C at external meetings if the occasion arises and is determined to be an good opportunity for the Director and for C2C
- Attend and support fundraisers for C2C and work with the Executive Director to consider inviting people from each Director’s personal or professional networks
- Make strategic introductions to people and institutions, when possible, to advance C2C’s fundraising goals
- Disseminate news and updates about C2C’s work by reaching to friends and colleagues when the organization publishes materials (newsletters, Annual Report, Impact Report, etc.) and via Facebook, LinkedIn, and social media
- Support the organization’s annual fundraising efforts through a personally significant gift, resulting in 100% board participation.
Governance and Strategy:
- Guide the organization to the fulfillment of its strategic goals
- Recognize that all board members, not just the Finance & Development Committee, have a fiduciary responsibility to the organization to ensure sound financial management.
- As a board, assume responsibility for hiring, monitoring, advising, supporting, evaluating, and, if necessary, releasing the Executive Director.
- Complete the annual evaluation of the Executive Director.
- Complete the annual board evaluation (process to be developed).
- Assist with the identification and recruitment of new board members.
We welcome applicants with experience in Global Health, International Development, Management and Operations and Medicine. In addition aid in accessing new fundraising networks if of particular interest.
Unpaid Board Position
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To Express Interest:
A cover letter and resume should be submitted via email to [email protected]
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered on a rolling basis.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert