Director, New Business (Strategic Alliances / Corporate Partnerships)
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 20004
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 475,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week.
About the position:
Do you have a private sector head and a public sector heart? First Book seeks a creative, entrepreneurial individual to lead new business development strategies for this fast-growing organization. The position sources and cultivates corporate partnerships and focuses on capacity-building and programmatic strategies that support our organizational growth. This is a fast-paced, cutting edge, collaborative, and business-oriented nonprofit social enterprise with an energetic atmosphere.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director, New Business, will develop leads, design and present concepts, and close new relationships with major corporate and philanthropic funders.
· Conceptualize, develop, and present funding concepts and pitches to leading multinational corporations. Develop concept documents and formal proposals to secure corporate and philanthropic funding.
· Establish relationships and secure partnership agreements with new funders.
· Design and launch organization-wide campaigns and corporate partnerships that directly benefit communities in need.
· Work closely with the Senior VP of Strategic Alliances to develop overarching strategy to secure new corporate relationships in collaboration with First Book Senior Leadership.
· Design and lead new business strategies to secure additional unrestricted corporate funds to further First Book’s mission.
· Identify and submit formal proposals and applications in response to philanthropic RFPs.
· Collaborate across marketing communications, engagement, e-commerce and operations to create and implement value-added, integrated programs that advance organizational goals.
· Respond to and undertake special projects that advance the department as requested by SVP, Strategic Alliances.
· Collaborate with SVP and VP, Strategic Alliances on the ongoing development of the department including overall vision, operational processes, staffing, professional development, performance management, etc.
· Meet annual financial goals as determined by the Executive Team and SVP, Strategic Alliances.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required:
· Track record of meeting annual goals in excess of $1MM.
· Must possess creative, innovative, and entrepreneurial spirit.
· Experience securing funds from Fortune 500 companies and/or major philanthropic foundations a requirement, with current contacts maintained at those institutions.
· Strong relationship management skills for dealing with a range of partners and industries.
· Ability to communicate effectively, professionally, and persuasively with internal staff and external clients.
· Strong team-focused, collaborative mentality.
· Excellent business writing and presentation skills.
· Proficiency with MS Office products including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
· Must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
· Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Exceptional organizational skills and time management required. Must have the ability to meet designated deadlines.
· Must be able to work in a fast paced multi-tasked environment as a member of a vibrant team
· Travel is required as necessary, up to 40% during peak periods, unless precluded by global or regional safety and public health considerations.
Education and/or Experience:
- Demonstrated track record in sales and account management, with a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in a client services environment.
- MBA or M.A. in a related educational field preferred. BS required.
- Prior work experience in private and social impact sectors
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
- Vacation leave
- Sick leave
- Eleven Annual Holidays
- 401 K and employer matching pension contribution
- Transportation benefits
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert