ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: We know that the students with the highest potential are most often the ones who are ignored in large public school classrooms. Teachers are often not able to devote the time or resources to cultivate their talent, yet these are the students who are most likely to be leaders and college graduates among their peers. Our organization was founded to harness and support the potential of these young people who, with our guidance, will change the trajectory of their lives.
We began in 1999 as a first-in-class middle school program. Today, Breakthrough New York’s support continues through college graduation. That’s a 10-year commitment, a unique approach in the field.
We are not a large organization. Built from the ground up, we maximize the educational opportunity for over 500 students. In doing so, we contribute significantly to help break the cycle of poverty by positioning our kids to earn incomes to sustain themselves and their families.
We are committed to growing to the point where we can support more students, right through their entire college experience and into their first jobs. We firmly believe it can be done. In point of fact, it must be done.
We know what is required to provide a full, transformative experience for our students. We want our kids to leave the program ready and able to take their respective places, as vibrant contributors to our society. That is our goal.
To do that, we found it’s not good enough to prepare students for high school, or even prepare them for college. As our name implies, Breakthrough, real breakthrough in the adult world, requires a commitment through higher education, which will lead to a lifetime of learning, impact and success. To learn more visit www.btny.org
ABOUT THE POSITION: The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will lead the revenue strategy and fundraising efforts for Breakthrough New York to achieve, and ideally exceed, annual revenue goals of ~$3M ultimately growing to $3.5M by 2025. As a key member of the senior management team, the CDO will report directly to the Executive Director (ED) and will work closely with the Board of Directors to strategically communicate BTNY’s impact and need to a wide range of external constituents, ensuring thoughtful cultivation of current and prospective donors so that ultimately BTNY has the resources needed to achieve its mission.
The CDO will lead all aspects of BTNY’s development operations and build on the existing team structure, as well as its network of support, to increase revenue in order to meet the needs of its growing program. The CDO will continue to scale fundraising to meet the annual operational needs of our larger program and will expand our reserves to support future, strategic growth.
In addition to these individual responsibilities, the CDO is an important part of a larger team of passionate, dedicated individuals. The full team rolls up their sleeves to support all-hands-on-deck initiatives, and honors the strengths and experiences of students and families both in internal work and external communications.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Fundraising Strategy and Execution
● Create an annual revenue plan and long-term growth strategy based on strategic analysis, forecasting, and modeling that aligns with our strategic goals and meets or exceeds our annual budget
● Provide strategic fundraising recommendations to the Executive Director, Senior Management Team, and Board and lead them and the development team in the execution of the revenue plan
● Act as chief fundraiser, cultivating new prospects and securing gifts from individual donors, corporate partners, and foundations, with particular emphasis on major donors
● Plan and lead the execution of major campaigns and stewardship pieces (year-end appeal, Annual Report, etc.)
● Oversee event-planning, including large-scale events like an annual gala
● Serve as an external face of BTNY, representing the organization to funders, auditors, consultants, and vendors who work closely with the development team
● Manage the department’s budget and effectively communicate budget decisions and parameters to team members
● Set clear benchmarks for the team, regularly reflect on progress through data tracking and analysis, and adjust tactics as necessary to meet revenue goals
● Ensure timely outreach and effective stewardship of all partners through the integrity, accuracy, and relevance of development reports, compiled in collaboration with the Finance and HR Director (to confirm funding allocations) and Chief Program Officer (to confirm program results)
● Contribute to the development and execution of BTNY's organizational strategy as an integral member of BTNY's Senior Management Team
● Partner effectively with BTNY's Board of Directors, ensuring all Board members clearly understand the organization's development strategy and their role within it
● Serve as a lead and supporting member to the Board Development Committee
● Manage and develop the members of BTNY's Development team, thoughtfully serving as a supervisor and coach
Marketing and Communications
● Direct communications strategy to connect with and broaden Breakthrough New York’s community of support utilizing a range of formats: BTNY website and blog, social media, print collateral, news media, etc.
● Collaborate with program team to source, honor, and accurately represent student and family experiences
● Ensure consistency in brand usage inside and outside of the organization