Regional Program Director
Partners for Justice
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Crime/Legal
City: New Orleans
Postal code: 70119
Country: United States
$0 - $1M
In the United States, over 5 million people go to jail every year and nearly 40% are living in extreme poverty. Once a low-income person is arrested and even before a verdict is reached, they are more likely to experience penalties outside the legal system -- such as job loss, eviction, or property seizure -- which make it even more difficult to escape from poverty and avoid re-arrest.
Partners for Justice works to disrupt this cycle by helping clients get out of jail and fighting the extra-judicial penalties of arrest that disproportionately impact the poor and people of color. Our teams of Client Advocates are embedded within Public Defender offices, where they can reach the people most vulnerable to the criminal legal system. They also help stabilize clients’ lives beyond their legal involvement by connecting them with supportive social services. Since our launch in 2018, PFJ has grown rapidly and we now support five jurisdictions across the country, reaching more than 2,500 clients per year.
The Partners for Justice national team focuses on recruiting and training Client Advocates, building relationships with Public Defenders, and ongoing coaching and support to Advocate teams and their offices. This work is critical to ensure that PFJ Advocates have the right skills, support, and community to fight on behalf of their clients. With PFJ’s rapid growth, we are expanding our national team and seeking a Regional Director to work directly with Advocates and our Public Defender partners in Baton Rouge, LA; New Orleans, LA; and possibly a third location to be determined. This person will be PFJ’s primary point of contact with a portfolio of partner offices and their Advocate teams, playing a crucial role in creating robust holistic services for clients. This role reports to PFJ's Executive Director.
Regional Program Director Responsibilities
- Coach and empower PFJ Advocates: Provide one-on-one support to Advocates on personal and professional development. Work with teams to identify and integrate best practices for the PFJ program in their office. Organize regular trainings or workshops to deliver local learning experiences that meet Advocate needs (in partnership with office supervisors).
- Technical assistance to offices: Act as primary point of contact with designated public defender partners, building meaningful relationships with Advocate supervisors. Offer advice and best practices on integrating the PFJ program into office practice.
- Partnership development: Working with Advocates and office supervisors, identify and build relationships with community-based organizations and government offices providing services that benefit clients.
- Community awareness: Maintain knowledge of local dynamics and context that affect clients, including developments in the criminal legal system or related to poverty alleviation. Help Advocates understand the communities in which they are working.
- National resources: Help define the PFJ Advocate role and experience. Gather best practices and contribute to national resources to enhance the Advocate practice and experience. Contribute to PFJ’s annual and ongoing training events.
- Coordination: Facilitate communication between national PFJ team and local Advocate and office teams, ensuring visibility on national initiatives and local dynamics
Requirements for this role include:
- Commitment to PFJ's mission, values, and our vision of holistic, client-centered representation to reduce harm to low-income people involved in the criminal legal system
- Minimum of 7 years experience working in social services or legal services for low-income communities
- Ability to travel 25% of the time (public health conditions permitting)
Desired skills or experience include:
- Deep familiarity with the local community of Baton Rouge, LA or New Orleans, LA
- Knowledge of the legal system, government agencies, and other institutions that low-income people regularly interact with
- Experience providing direct services to racially or socioeconomically marginalized communities
- Building partnerships and leading through influence
- The ability to zero in on the key issues and prioritize solutions accordingly
- Supervising or coaching other adults
- Working remotely with distributed teams, while remaining effective and productive
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- MSW, JD or equivalent relevant experience preferred
Regional Directors should also model the characteristics we look for in outstanding client advocates:
- Creative problem-solving, with the ability to find innovative and efficient solutions to unusual obstacles
- Proactive and takes the initiative
- Able to handle ambiguity and thrives on working independently, with limited oversight
- Resilient, tenacious, and optimistic in the face of challenges
This position can be filled either on an employee or contract basis, with benefits negotiated accordingly. PFJ offers a flexible paid time off policy, as well as the ability to work remotely.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and two references to [email protected] with "Regional Director" in the subject line. Please be advised that if you do not include this subject line, we may not receive your application. Due to the volume of applications received, we may not contact all applicants if not selected for an interview.
Partners for Justice is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. People who hold identities that overlap with those of PFJ’s clients are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert