Public Impact Director (6083U) - 8573
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our https://strategicplan.berkeley.edu/guiding-values-and-principles/, our https://diversity.berkeley.edu/principles-community, and https://strategicplan.berkeley.edu/https://strategicplan.berkeley.edu
The Innovative Genomics Institute (IGI) is a non-profit, academic research organization formed through the partnership of UC Berkeley and UC San Francisco, and located on the UC Berkeley campus. At the IGI, we envision a world in which genome engineering innovations benefit humanity and are accessible to all. A key focus is accelerating translation of CRISPR-based approaches to address real-world problems in human health and agriculture.
The IGI is looking for passionate people who share our vision and values. We are committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture. We are interested in candidates whose previous experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We encourage individuals to apply who may have had non-traditional career paths, taken time off for family/personal reasons, or excelled in careers outside academia.
• Leads Public Impact team and recruits new staff as needed to build out the program.
• Manages staff and coordinates the program's individual effort areas to ensure alignment and unified direction of the Program mission.
• Directs long-term planning and develops policies and procedures.
• Independently develops and implements effective strategic plans to accomplish Institute mission.
• Participates in Institute-wide discussions of planning and implementation.
• Consults with IGI Executive Director and Governance Board for high-level approval.
• Engages with external parties to represent the goals and mission of the program.
• Represents the organization in working with funding agencies, developing financial resources and programs, in coordination with development staff.
• Collaborates with research staff on developing research programs and agenda and oversees implementation.
• Identifies and cultivates prospective new industrial, academic and foundation partnerships and funding sources.
• Serves as the face of the IGI in multiple interactions with individuals and groups outside the Institute and University.