Board Member Volunteer position
The Elizabeth Peabody House
Position Type: Board (Unpaid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 02145
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
To support families in our community in reaching their full potential through early childhood education, youth development and enrichment, and family services.
Title: Elizabeth Peabody House Board Member Volunteer Position
Elizabeth Peabody House (EPH), a Settlement House, was founded in 1896 and was named in memory of Elizabeth Palmer Peabody, the founder of the English speaking kindergarten systems in the United States. The mission of EPH is to provide a broad array of educational, social and recreational services to address the essential and changing needs of families in the City of Somerville and surrounding communities.
- Fundraising. As part of the fiduciary responsibility, the board needs to secure appropriate funding to carry out the activities of the organization.
- Representation of viewpoints. Board members are often appointed to bring the experience and varied perspectives of complementary industries and the organization's constituencies to the organization. Board members' professional experience may give them a unique point of view regarding the management of the organization, and a board member may be called upon to utilize that experience for the organization.
General Board Functions:
- Setting the mission and vision of the organization, and reviewing the organization's performance in achieving it.
- Hiring and overseeing the Executive Director, including annual performance review and establishing compensation package.
- Approving budget and ensuring the organization meets budget expectations
- Oversight of investment strategies
- Hiring an independent auditor, and assurance that published reports properly reflect the operating results and financial condition of the EPH.
- Determine eligibility'for and appoint Board members and committees.
- Ensure the organization has established and enforces appropriate policies to nurture and protect the assets of EPH.
- Attend all board and committee meetings and functions, such as special events.
- Actively volunteer for EPH-sponsored activities.
- Be informed about the organization's mission, services, policies, and programs.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Serve on committees or task forces and offer to take on special assignments.
- Make a personal financial contribution to the organization
- Inform others about the organization,and be a steward to current and potential contributors, partners and donors.
- Suggest possible nominees to the board who can make significant contributions to the work of the board . and the organization
- Keep up-to-date on developments in the organization's field.
- Follow conflict of interest and confidentiality policies.
- Refrain from making special requests of the staff.
- Assist the board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities, such as reviewing the organization's annual financial statements.
The Elizabeth Peabody House Association does not discriminate on the basis of age, ethnicity, gender, nationality, religious belief, or sexual orientation
- Ability to: listen, analyze, think clearly and creatively, work well with people individually and in a group.
- Willing to: prepare for and attend board and committee meetings, ask questions, take responsibility and follow through on a given assignment, contribute personal and financial resources in a generous way according to circumstances, open doors in the community, evaluate oneself.
- Develop certain skills if you do not already possess them, such as to: cultivate and solicit funds, cultivate and recruit board members and other volunteers, read and understand financial statements, learn more about the substantive program area of the organization.
- Possess: honesty, sensitivity to and tolerance of differing views, a friendly, responsive, and patient approach, community-building skills, personal integrity, a developed sense of values, concern for your nonprofit's development, a sense of humor.
Unpaid Board Position
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please submit resume and interest to become a volunteer board member to Kretcha M. Roldan @ [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert