Director of Programs and Engagement
Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
City: New York
Postal code: 10065
State: New York
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
Founded in 1914 by Andrew Carnegie, Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs is a New York
institution with global reach. For over 100 years, the Council has promoted voices for ethics in
international relations, education, and policy. We convene leaders from business, government, and
academia to develop practical, ethically based frameworks for issues on the technological and political
The Director of Programs and Engagement will oversee our expanding portfolio of impact initiatives in
ethics in public policy. This position will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer to support the
vision, goals, and strategy for increasing and diversifying the Council’s portfolio on climate, bio tech, info tech, and global public policy.
As an integral member of the Council’s senior management team, the Director of Programs and
Engagement leads and manages short and long‐term tasks to develop and execute the work of each
program initiative. The Director will coordinate with Senior Fellows to develop the intellectual agenda of each project and integrate with the Council’s communications team as well as Ethics & International Affairs journal, Carnegie New Leaders Program, virtual and public programming.
We are looking for an energetic and creative thinker, with a record of academic achievement,
demonstrated interest in public policy/international relations, and leadership experience from either the public, private, or civil society sector(s). The Director will maintain the rigor, structure, and timetable of multiple projects while ensuring multimedia communications outputs to showcase the full range of the Council’s work.
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Senior Fellows to align programmatic work with organization's priorities and ensure effective implementation.
- Lead and oversee the annual development of work plans, deliverables, and budgets, including qualitative and quantitative measurements of impact.
- Ensure that programs and projects are efficient and high‐quality.
- Work jointly with Director of Development, Senior Fellows and Council staff to identify and develop grant opportunities for new and existing programs.
- Assist in identifying and maintaining professional relationships with key constituents.
- Identify internal and external individuals/groups to attend and/or speak at public meetings or other events and maintain active relations with these individuals/groups.
- Other duties may also be assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- A strategic thinker with a focus on improving systems and coordinating efforts to reach the Council’s strategic programmatic goals.
- Exceptional writing, communication, and analytical skills.
- Ability to convene lead workshops, seminars, public events.
- Demonstrated experience working with leaders across public, private, and civil society sectors.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a program director capacity or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Flexibility and a proven ability to innovate and find creative solutions to challenges.
Carnegie Council offers a competitive salary; three weeks’ paid vacation per year plus additional sick and personal leave time; health, dental, and vision plans; a public transportation subsidy; and generous 401k contributions after one year of employment.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter, along with a short writing sample to Melissa Semeniuk at
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert