Chief of Staff, Partnerships & Infrastructure
Leadership for Educational Equity
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
Postal code: 20001
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
About Leadership for Educational Equity
Leadership for Educational Equity is a nonprofit leadership development organization inspiring and supporting a network of civic leaders to eradicate the injustice of educational inequity.
Through one-on-one coaching, fellowships, workshops, and resources, LEE works to develop and inspire its members individually and collectively, across all disciplines – as policy makers, advocates, elected leaders and community organizers. LEE membership is free and currently open to all Teach For America corps members and alumni. LEE believes that when a diverse group of leaders, grounded in their classroom experience, are in leadership roles, they will serve as a transformative force for and with students, communities and the broader movement for educational equity.
LEE is a diverse team of passionate and talented individuals committed to making a difference. We are a high-growth, results-oriented organization that operates in an entrepreneurial environment deeply invested in anti-racism and continuous improvement. LEE is honored to have been selected as a LATINA Style 50 Award recipient and a When Work Works award recipient. We are also an Employer of National Service. If you would like to become part of our team and join the fight for educational equity, or if you would simply like to learn more, please visit educationalequity.org.
Partnerships & Infrastructure is responsible for LEE’s people, growth, and sustainability, which includes a senior team to set the vision, direction and management of: Talent, Learning & Culture, Strategy, Finance and new organizational partnerships.
LEE seeks a strategic, entrepreneurial, and innovative Chief of Staff (COS) to support the Senior Vice President (SVP) in leading the Partnerships and Infrastructure (P&I) team and leading across the organization to foster coherent, impactful strategy development, implementation, and learning. The Chief of Staff will design and continuously update/improve the strategic agenda in close alignment with the vision set by the Senior Vice President. A collaborative leader with a keen eye to tactical implementation, the Chief of Staff will align team leads with the SVP’s long- and mid- term strategic priorities, build team understanding of the overall P&I Team vision, and proactively identify opportunities to advance the overall LEE vision for impact. The Chief of Staff will also work deeply across functions beyond the P&I team to foster coherence and integration among LEE teams.
The Chief of Staff reports directly to the Senior Vice President, Partnerships & Infrastructure, and will be responsible for the efficient and effective development and execution of strategy, fostering a continuous improvement and learning orientation across the organization and ensuring there is strong coordination, performance management, and culture across and within P&I specific functions.
The Chief of Staff will be a values-oriented executive who approaches their work through a diversity, equity and inclusion lens and will collaborate across the organization for the success of their team and LEE. The COS will work closely with all LEE teams, not just P&I, to maximize the scale of the work. As an internal leader at LEE, highly visible across teams, the COS will have a deep personal and professional connection with LEE’s core values and deep understanding of how to design, implement, monitor and adapt strategy in a matrixed organization.
Position Location: Flexible
Travel Requirements: Approximately 25% for in-person strategy planning, retreats and/or regional visits
Cross-team strategy development, effective teaming, project planning, and progress monitoring (40%)
- Build frameworks and tools and lead professional development for org-wide use on high priority goals and strategies
- Lead and facilitate an inter-organizational team, comprised of representatives of the organization’s major functions (likely using a Center for Excellence model) to consistently implement a shared strategy development, codification, project management and professional monitoring approach
- Provide strategic insights as to where the organization needs to improve to ensure high-quality and consistent delivery to achieve goals
- Develop an internal partnership model framework that supports cross-functional collaboration and positions P&I as a strategic thought partnership for programmatic teams
- In partnership with the Strategy team and other data teams develop an org-wide culture of data that allows the management team to effectively evaluate programs and initiatives
Internal Communications and Engagement (20%)
- Lead the development of strategy (in partnership with the Talent, Learning, & Culture team and the Communications team) for effective and efficient communications and staff engagement to build culture, inspiration and living our core values
- With Communications and Talent, Learning & Culture teams, facilitate the execution of monthly internal communications and culture building
- Streamline and make more coherent how we publish org-wide policies and updates
- Coordinate the roll-out and implementation of major internal initiatives, particularly those that demand staff or senior leadership team time and activity
P&I Team Operations, Learning, and Culture (20%)
- Spearhead the annual planning process which encompasses budgeting, goal setting and staffing for P&I partnering with P&I leaders to establish goals and strategies and effectively allocate resources
- Manage an accurate and updated team budget and ensure we spend our funds effectively and
equitably (e.g. PD fund)
- Manage Coordinator, P&I to execute their responsibilities at a high level
- In alignment with P&I and SVP priorities, set the agenda for P&I team calls and manage the planning, execution, and evaluation of quarterly P&I team stepbacks and retreats in service of creating an inclusive, diverse team with equitable processes
- Work with the SVP and P&I leaders to create, progress monitor and learn from the implementation of strategy to achieve ambitious goals
- Regularly assess data on the P&I team’s health and performance and advise on adjustment to strategy
- Lead efforts within P&I to build culture, aligned to our core values and antiracist commitment
- Support in P&I team hiring, new staff onboarding, and overall team staffing
Strategic Projects (20%)
- Lend leadership and strategic thought partnership, facilitation and/or other capacity to high-priority organizational initiatives (e.g. Expanding to new Partners, DEI)
- Other projects as assigned by the SVP, P&I
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 9 years of relevant professional work experience with 5 years in a role requiring the management of people within or across functions
- Knowledge and experience in organizational strategy and management in an organization with a matrixed structure
- Proven track record of managing or effectively facilitating senior level leaders with an ability to get involved in multiple functional areas
- Ability to set and achieve ambitious goals toward impact
- Record of results in managing strong execution within and across teams
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to establish and maintain professional relationships
- Proven ability to operate and thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Comfortable leading a team through rapidly changing circumstances, priorities and goals
- Deep passion for educational equity and belief in LEE’s mission and theory of change
- Ability to communicate and collaborate within a geographically dispersed team in a virtual work environment
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, diversity, equity & inclusion
- Experience working for a 510(c)3 or 501(c)4 non-profit, ideally in education
- Experience leading in an organization with a hub and spoke model (ie. regional and national teams, central office and satellite offices, etc.)
- Master’s degree in relevant field (e.g., MBA)
Benefits and Pay
Pay for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included. LEE offers a comprehensive benefits plan that includes health, dental and vision coverage for spouses, families and domestic partners; life insurance; a retirement package with employer match; family and parent benefits; generous paid time off and an organization-wide winter break between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
$90k - 100k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please apply using the link: https://educationalequity.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=482&site=1
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert