Giffords: Courage to Fight Gun Violence
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
Postal code: 20091
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Nearly 40,000 people died from gun violence in 2017, the highest level in 40 years. This uniquely American crisis leaves no community untouched—but it doesn’t have to be this way. From passing legislation strengthening our gun laws to investing in evidence-based programs, there are steps we can and should take to make our country safer.
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, our organization works to tackle America’s gun violence crisis. A safer America is possible—one where our children can grow up without fear of gun violence—and that is why we’re in this fight.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Nearly 40,000 people died from gun violence in 2017, the highest level in 40 years. This uniquely American crisis leaves no community untouched—but it doesn't have to be this way. From passing legislation strengthening our gun laws to investing in evidence-based programs, there are steps we can and should take to make our country safer.
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, our organization works to tackle America's gun violence crisis. A safer America is possible—one where our children can grow up without fear of gun violence—and that is why we're in this fight. At Giffords, we work to:
We work to foster a culture where Americans are informed about what makes them safer and inspired to fight for a safer future.
We research, write, and propose policies that make Americans safer and mobilize voters, advocates, and lawmakers in support of safer gun laws.
We hold the gun lobby and any special interests who seek to profit at the expense of public safety accountable.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Finance Director will play a mission-critical role in fulfilling the finance function's ability to support institutional decision making, ensure organizational integrity and compliance, and be responsive to the needs of the staff and the executive team. Serving as the day-to-day leader of the finance and accounting function for Giffords and Giffords PAC, this new Director position will develop and refine the organization's financial systems and processes. The Director will also oversee all accounting activities, ensuring the quality and accuracy of all financial reporting.
The Director will report directly to the Chief Operations Officer and will manage the Finance Manager (full-time) and external consultants (part-time).
- Advise and support the COO and leadership team on all financial planning and decision making
- Create models and other tools that enable staff and executive leadership to make sound, data-driven financial decisions
- Support annual and multi-year budget processes, ensuring that activities are forecasted and reported appropriately, and that variances are tracked, explained, and reported throughout the year
- Establish and track key metrics for success; design tools to measure and make strategic recommendations on organizational financial health
- Conduct financial analysis, advising colleagues on resource allocation, operational planning and other strategic questions
- Regularly present complex financial information to internal and external stakeholders
- Analyze program and financial data to seek cost and performance improvements
- Develop and implement financial processes and procedures that reflect Giffords' commitment to equity and inclusion
- Manage and oversee all accounting functions with a commitment to excellence and a service orientation, including general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, bank reconciliations, and monitoring of cash flow, collaborating with external accountants and other vendors, as appropriate
- Lead all activities associated with the annual audit, working closely with Giffords' independent auditors; prepare materials for the audit presentation and advise executive leadership on recommendations to the Board of Directors
- Maintain strong financial controls; ensure the integrity, accuracy and usefulness of all financial processes and reports
- Leads accounting and financial compliance for the 501(c)(4) and PAC with indirect support of financial management for the 501(c)(3)
- Reconcile expenses between the 501(c)(4), PAC and 501(c)(3)
- Support and advise staff on grants, agreements, and contracts, ensuring organization's financial policies are followed
People and Stakeholder Management
- Oversee the Finance Manager and external accountants to ensure grant and vendor records are maintained with required and appropriate documentation, payments are processed in a timely manner, and necessary approvals are in place
- Uphold an environment within the Finance and Operations team that is collaborative, with a problem-solving and service-oriented mindset, supporting partnerships across the organization and enhancing the skills of the existing team
- Develop and refine systems and processes that ensure teams across the organization utilize finance as a tool for planning and decision making and are able to work together collaboratively and effectively
- With the COO as partner and advisor, support executive decision making
- Work alongside all departments to support financial literacy, accounting and budget decision-making through the development and implementation of clear communication systems and timelines
- Work in partnership with development staff to develop forecasts and track funds raised
- Partner with the broader Operations team across various projects, including determining the best system(s) for capturing HR and payroll information
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 8 years of experience in accounting and/or financial management at a small to mid sized nonprofit or start up
- B.S. in accounting or finance and C.P.A preferred
- Flexible but influential, in order to obtain buy-in and drive change – can act as both a creative business partner to management and a hard worker who gets things done
- A structured, analytical thinker who can clearly communicate complex systems
- Strong knowledge of nonprofit accounting protocols including annual audit
- Willing to roll up your sleeves with a no task-too-small attitude
- Strong financial fluency; demonstrated ability to conduct financial analysis and support strategic decision-making
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team, building relationships and acting as a thought partner to stakeholders across the organization
- Strategic thinking, critical analysis, and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills with an overall execution orientation and high attention to detail
- Ability to craft thoughtful and engaging written communications and explain simple and complex financial situations to non finance experts
- Demonstrated experience or genuine interest in using finance as a tool to promote equity and inclusivity
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY: https://www.on-ramps.com/jobs/1918
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Like Giffords, On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with common purpose.
Posted By: On-Ramps
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert