Pennsylvania State Director
The Impact Project
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
Postal code: n/a
Country: United States
We are about building enduring power through advocacy, organizing, and communications that advances progressive economic and democracy policies. Current progressive work in the states is largely focused on short-term issue-specific campaigns. While this strategy has proven effective in securing specific policies, a more comprehensive approach is required to fundamentally change these states. You’ll have the freedom to look across issues, across organizations, and across legislative sessions to build the power needed to create and sustain a progressive policy environment in the states.
Given the centrality of economic concerns across the country, these issues are at the heart of our strategy. The democratic process has been hobbled in many states – and we seek to both unchain it and lock in structural reforms that will build enduring progressive power.
Create and drive the plan for your state.
- Know the landscape and gaps in your state, including what is preventing progressives from building power, obstacles to advancing policy, and which groups are treating which audiences.
- Work with the VP of Advocacy and local partners to identify, package, and advance the suite of policy solutions for the state.
- Work with the VP of Public Engagement to learn everything you can about persuadable audiences – those who lean progressive – and employ best practices to educate and active them around our policy campaigns.
- Craft a plan and budget corresponding to the policy and persuasion campaigns above. Develop a suite of local partners that stretches beyond well-known progressive organizations, tailoring the messenger to the audience.
- Create the mandate for change through sustained communications and grassroots organizing, maximizing both our existing partners and new ones you identify and engage.
- Bring new ideas and partners to the table, constantly scouring the landscape for potential contacts and cold calling to open new doors.
- Build effective relationships with local partners and vendors, ensuring consistent updates on their metrics and brokering information across organizations that can increase their impact.
- Deliver high quality and compliant spending proposals.
Measure, learn, and channel your inner data geek
- Test your assumptions by building experimentation into projects, working with the Data Strategist to design and operationalize them.
- Create a culture of learning among your partners in the state, leading by example by sharing results from your own projects or your colleagues in other states.
- Drive all projects to utilize best practices and consistent metrics so that we can capture a comprehensive picture of our impact.
- Ensure partners pull lists from and capture data in the voter file so we can compare impact across projects and see where there is overlap in audiences reached.
Actively collaborate with the team
- Participate in regular state team calls.
- Provide weekly written updates and input as requested for donor updates.
- Share breaking news as it happens.
- Work closely with the VP of Impact to ensure strategies flow from the best available data and that expenses contain meaningful metrics which we can use to continually assess our impact.
- Strategic thinker who can quickly assess the situation in a state and translate those observations into funding recommendations and next steps.
- Strong relationship builder who can tell a compelling story about our work, ask the right questions to draw out potential partners, and isn’t afraid to set a high bar for partners and consultants as we work together to achieve challenging goals.
- Issue campaigner who understands how advocacy, field, and communications layer together.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Can thrive in a startup environment where the path forward isn’t always clear and the processes are a work in process.
- Independent and mature, able to structure your day and priorities effectively while working at home and on the road.
- Five to seven years of progressive campaign experience.
- Frequent travel required within the state and occasional national travel for in-person team meetings.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert