Director of Accounting and Finance
Heights and Hills
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Human Services
Postal code: 11201
State: New York
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
Heights and Hills is one of Brooklyn’s largest providers of services to older adults and their families with a mission to promote successful aging in the community. We have an operating budget of approximately $4 million, with assets valued at $1 million, a staff of 41, and serve approximately 5,000 older adults and their families each year. Our operating budget is comprised of income from a variety of sources including multiple government contracts, foundations grants, events, and individual donors.
Current programs include Case Management for homebound elderly, Caregiver Support Services for families caring for an elderly person, a community center for older adults, and a robust Volunteer Program.
The Director of Accounting & Finance will serve as the lead Finance person in this growing organization, reporting directly to the Executive Director. This is a full-time exempt position.
- Oversees all financial activities, including general ledger, accounts payable/receivable, purchasing, payroll, audit prep, insurance and tax reports and planning/monitoring of cash flow.
- Maintains budget-to-actual analysis by revenue class
- Performs the month-end accounting close process (bank reconciliation, accruals, A/P and A/R adjustments)
- Reviews accounts payable and payroll
- Prepares monthly budget-to-actual P&L and cash reports for the Executive Director and Board Finance Committee
- Attends board and finance committee meetings to present and discuss financial reports
- Prepares annual budget, revised projections and multi-year plans in coordination with ED and Board
- Enters annual budget, monthly invoices and budget modifications into a City database, oversees collections
- Communicates with program staff about budget and financial outcomes
- Recommends and implements sound fiscal policies, procedures and accounting controls throughout the organization
- Assists with the resolution of IRS tax and reporting issues and payroll issues.
- Additional financial analyses and hands-on bookkeeping duties, as necessary.
- Supervises and oversees the finance duties of the Director of Administration who is responsible for A/R and A/P, purchasing and payroll
Grants Compliance Duties
- Works with ED and Director of Development to ensure that fiscal requirements for grants and contracts are identified, realized and monitored.
- Provides guidance to the Development staff in the preparation of reports to funding sources.
- Reconciles contributed revenue with donor database and oversees accounts receivable.
- Works with auditors and Board Audit Committee on completion of the annual financial audit.
- Prepares supporting schedules and 990 materials as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business/finance, accounting, management or related field and 8+ years of finance or accounting experience.
- Personal and professional integrity; this role requires exceptional discretion and judgment and keen attention to detail
- Thorough knowledge of not-for-profit accounting and reporting standards, grant and funder contracts accounting and reporting
- Experience with New York City contracting and HHS Accelerator preferred
- Proficiency in Excel and QuickBooks
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with employees, management team and Board of Directors. Ability to translate financial concepts and effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Experience and knowledge of financial audit and compliance, budget processes, and resource maximization
- Experience with staff supervisor preferred
Includes full benefits: health, dental, life insurance, long term disability, 403(b)plan, and employer paid retirement plan after one year of service.
$75k - 90k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Email brief cover letter and resume to [email protected].
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert