Chief Financial Officer
Bainum Family Foundation
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
Postal code: 20814
Country: United States
We operate and support educational programs and projects assisting underserved children and youth, from early childhood through post-secondary education.
Founded in 1968 by Stewart and Jane Bainum, the Bainum Family Foundation (the Foundation) has helped underserved children exit poverty through high-quality educational programs and services for more than 50 years. With more than $600 million in assets, the Foundation currently invests in four areas — Early Learning, Food Security, School Mental Health and Faith-based Education — and carries out this work in close collaboration with a range of community partners. The Foundation also supports the personal philanthropy of four generations of the Bainum family. Currently, the Foundation is in the midst of a strategic planning process to chart its future direction and ensure their efforts and investments most strongly and directly enhance outcomes for children. The Foundation approaches all of its work through a lens of racial equity and is committed to being an antiracist organization.
Under the leadership of David Daniels, appointed CEO and President in November of last year, the Foundation now seeks nominations and applications for a mission-oriented Chief Financial Officer to help steward the next chapter in the Foundation’s journey. Reporting to the CEO, the new CFO will join a passionate Executive Leadership Team at a pivotal moment in the foundation’s history. The new CFO will work directly with the CEO, the leadership team, and the Board of Directors to drive changes needed to ensure that the foundation’s financial capabilities, investment portfolio, and programs are aligned and in service of the organization’s mission. They will also be instrumental in creating a culture of trust and accountability, transparent communication, and continuous improvement and innovation.
The ideal candidate will be deeply committed to the Foundation’s mission. They must be a strong manager, skilled leader, innovative collaborator, and effective communicator. The ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes and experiences:
- Sophisticated leadership skills and presence developed through a minimum of ten years of progressive leadership with an advanced degree in business administration, finance, investment, or related field.
- A strategic, comprehensive, and critical approach to planning, problem solving, and decision making as a leader, contributor, and member of an executive leadership team.
- An unwavering commitment to quality programs and excellence in strategic, organizational, fiscal and budget management; experience in catalyzing change and stewarding effective change management highly desired.
- Clear record of achievement in financial management and experience with the intersection of finance, investment, accounting, and compliance related operating foundations.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in setting priorities, organizing resources, and guiding an effective system for managing an approximately $0.5B corpus.
- Knowledgeable in current and emerging policies, practices, trends, technologies, and information affecting the finance functions and organization; a track record of using knowledge and best practices to guide organizational actions.
- Experience effectively managing relationships with investment consultants, financial custodians, and asset managers.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex financial information and ideas into clear, concise, and compelling materials; ability to communicate and field complex financial matters clearly and effectively in support of the CEO, Board of Directors (including Finance Committee), staff, and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to use financial analysis to generate, evaluate, and act on strategic options and opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to attract, develop and motivate talent, including the ability to develop succession plans for their position and for those under their purview.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment, both within the finance department and across the organization.
- Flexibility and collaborative approach in partnering with peers, partners and community members; dedicated to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers and serving as a resource for guidance in finance-related issues.
- Passion for the mission driven sector and the role philanthropy can have in addressing some of society’s most challenging problems.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
This search is being conducted with assistance from Linh Nguyen, Katherine Jacobs, and Vanita Bhargava of NPAG
. Due to the pace of this search, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications including a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in Word format), and where you learned of the position should be sent to: [email protected]
. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type your name (Last, First) as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail
The Bainum Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Posted By: NPAG
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert