Forest Campaign Director
Rainforest Action Network challenges corporate practices that threaten our forests, climate, and the rights of communities and promotes forward thinking strategies to preserve our planet. A core principle in that effort is our commitment to finding systemic solutions that challenge systems of oppression or injustice.
RAN’s Forest Program is focused on protecting Indonesia’s forests and fighting for the rights of forest communities. RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and hard-working Campaign Director to co-direct our Keep Forests Standing campaign, lead our U.S. based team, and work together with our global team. This position will use a high level of professionalism, mastery of campaign strategy development and project management, savvy negotiating skills, and strategic coordination and partnership skills to pressure some of the biggest agribusiness and forestry companies in the world as well as their multi-national customers and financiers. Whether supporting a high-profile direct action, in a multi-day negotiation with a company, on Zoom with allies in Indonesia or in a team meeting, the ideal candidate will enjoy interacting with people on a variety of levels while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. If you like leading diverse teams, successful negotiations, and designing strategies that can be turned into creative action and compelling communications, we have the job for you.
This is a highly collaborative position, working closely with our campaign staff in the U.S., Europe and Asia as well as our communication, digital, organizing and development departments. The ideal candidate will thrive at coordinating inter-departmental teams, managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced campaigning environment, and listening to and incorporating feedback from others in the organization, allies, and our frontline partners. This position is full-time, salaried with excellent benefits and reports directly to the Forest Program Director.
· Design market-based campaign strategies that support forest protection and respect for the rights of forest communities
· Manage and coach a team of U.S. based campaigners
· Oversee integration of racial justice work into campaign plans and team projects
· Work with the Forest Program Director, Forest Policy Director, Finance Campaign Director and global campaign team to lead negotiations on policies and improved lending, sourcing, or production practices with corporate targets throughout forest-risk commodity supply chains
· Project manage campaign pushes across geographic regions (including the U.S., Japan, and Indonesia)
· Implement agreed-upon campaign activities that expose destructive practices and build toward creative solutions
· Work with the communications department to secure high-profile media coverage and act as a public and media spokesperson for RAN
· Work with the campaign team and organizing department to prepare campaign materials, including reports, website content, fact sheets and organizing materials
· Work with the Forest Program Director and development department on foundation proposals and membership materials
· Work with the digital department to craft content for supporters, digital campaign tactics, author blogs and publicly communicate RAN’s campaigns and positions through social media
· Conduct, direct or support research to be used for crafting campaign strategy or for specific campaign goals and activities
· Cultivate and maintain relationships with key allies and coordinate campaign work with regional and international social and environmental NGOs and coalitions
· Maintain issue expertise on tropical forests, agribusiness and forestry sectors, and commodity supply chains as well as political and economic issues that relate to the campaign
· Report weekly to the Program Director on accomplishments and plans of action
· Organize annual performance reviews for directly-reporting staff· Support other aspects of RAN’s work (e.g. helping during major fundraising events, grassroots trainings, or campaigns priorities as requested)
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.