Director of Development and Communications
International Institute of New England
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Human Services
Postal code: 02116
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
The International Institute of New England (IINE) is a non-profit organization that provides humanitarian relief, education, skills training, job placement, family reunification and pathways to citizenship for 2,000 immigrants and refugees each year. We work in Boston and Lowell, Massachusetts, and Manchester, New Hampshire.
IINE is the oldest and second largest resettlement agency in the region and has the largest Central American family reunification program in Greater Boston. More than 500 refugees and immigrants enroll in our education programs annually, and each year we connect hundreds of new Americans to jobs in New England companies.
A dynamic, forward-looking, smart and rapidly growing non-profit organization, we seek well-qualified, solutions-focused candidates who are experts in their respective fields. We are excited to share the career opportunity below and look forward to receiving your application!
The mission of the International Institute of New England is to create opportunities for refugees and immigrants to succeed through resettlement, education, career advancement and pathways to citizenship.
Reports to: Chief External Relations Officer
Supervises: Director of Suitcase Stories®
Manager of Marketing & Communications
Manager of Planned and Philanthropic Giving
Manager of Events and Corporate Relations
Donor Management Specialist
Status: Exempt, Full Time
The Director of Development and Communications is responsible for ensuring that IINE meets its annual non-institutional fundraising goals. The position is responsible for managing the development and marketing staffs, and working with them to evaluate, develop and implement strategies to grow IINE’s base of philanthropic support. The Director must have strong operational and technical skills, deep knowledge of development and marketing work, and an ability to think strategically and analytically.
The Director of Development and Communications manages giving from individuals, corporations, and community/faith groups. The Director has direct oversight of approximately two-thirds of IINE’s fundraising efforts. S/he works closely with the grants team, which is responsible for most public and private grant solicitations and reports from institutional funders; the grants team is responsible for the final third of IINE’s fundraising. Though the Director does not manage grant work, s/he may contribute to foundation stewardship strategy development and implementation. The grants team is responsible for most public and private grant solicitations and reporting to institutional funders; grants comprise the final third of IINE’s fundraising.
As the manager of the fundraising staff, the Director of Development and Communications is responsible for the successful execution of all events, securing corporate sponsorships, and processing all direct mail and online campaigns. A key focus of the Director will be implementing and evaluating a system of individual donor management. The Director supervises the Marketing Manager and ensures an integrated marketing, branding, and media relations strategy that meets programming and fundraising needs.
The Director of Development and Communications is an excellent manager, highly organized, a strong writer, and an individual who understands and can build efficient systems that continuously improve IINE’s marketing and fundraising operation. S/he is an individual contributor who will jump in and do work as needed, as well as someone who can motivate, support, and closely follow-up with her/his direct reports.
A can-do attitude and a good sense of humor will help the Director of Development and Communications effectively connect with donors and colleagues, as well as stay on top of the workload.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Hire, supervise, direct, and evaluate direct reports.
- Organize and conduct trainings as necessary.
- Develop and maintain annual department and event budgets.
- As directed by the Chief External Relations Officer, support IINE’s Board of Directors, including the preparation of presentations and reports for IINE’s Development Committee.
- Manage quality assurance for marketing and development, including ensuring that Salesforce records are up-to-date and evaluating systems.
- Ensure that good systems and processes are in place; responsible for drafting written Standard Operating Procedures for various components of the development function (gift processing, relationship management, etc.).
- Manage all aspects of IINE’s annual fundraising from individual donors, including direct mail and online appeals, in-person solicitations, donor appeal segmentation, acknowledgments, stewardship, and gift acknowledgments.
- Design, manage, and modify IINE’s moves management system, identifying major donors and prospects for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship by development and senior staff.
- Analyze Salesforce reports and data, utilizing information to modify fundraising strategy as appropriate.
- Responsible for managing the development staff’s successful execution of all IINE fundraising events, including large signature events (International Women’s Day and Golden Door Award Gala), Suitcase Stories® mainstage performances, and smaller house parties.
- Oversee IINE’s corporate and faith/community group fundraising efforts.
- In coordination with the grants team and Chief Advancement Officer, support capital fundraising from individual donors.
- Support IINE’s Leadership Council, a group of generous donors and advisors to IINE’s mission.
- Manage the interface between the Development and Finance offices, preparing fundraising reports and forecasts as required.
MARKETING, BRANDING, MEDIA RELATIONS
- As the supervisor of IINE’s marketing staff, ensure a coordinated and integrated design and implementation of IINE’s marketing, branding and media relations strategy.
- Brainstorm and direct development of internal and external collateral and publications.
- Responsible for ensuring that the Suitcase Stories® program meets annual targets, providing logistical and tactical support to the Suitcase Stories Director as necessary.
- Work across departments to ensure the ongoing improvement of the website, ensuring the site is current and accurately communicating information to all visitors.
Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree in related subject matter preferred
- A minimum of 7 years of development management experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in small to mid-size organizations
- Experience managing an Annual Fund is a plus
- A minimum of 3 years demonstrated management experience, including hiring, supervision, and performance evaluation of direct reports
- Experience managing and implementing events and appeals, and raising funds from individuals, families and corporations
- Prior experience growing a development program and demonstrated success as a fundraiser
- Prior experience developing and implementing a moves management system preferred
- Excellent systems knowledge and data analysis skills
- Experience (or comparable experience) with the following applications preferred:
- Constant Contact
- iATS payment
- Adobe Suite (mostly Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Google Analytics
- Facebook Business Manager
- Prior marketing experience, including creating, or overseeing creation of, marketing product
- Strong writing and editing skills; ability to communicate concisely and creatively
- Commitment to IINE’s humanitarian mission to serve immigrants, refugees, and newcomer populations
To learn more, please visit: https://iine.org/workplace-culture/
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please note that a resume, cover letter, and writing sample are required as part of this application. Writing samples can be of any length and on any topic, but should convey your ability to organize your thoughts, as well communicate concisely and clearly. Please apply through our job portal; visit iine.org/careers if you are having trouble with the link.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert