VP of Programs, Silicon Valley
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Housing/Shelter
Postal code: 94538
Country: United States
Abode Services' mission is to end homelessness by assisting low-income, un-housed people, including those with special needs, to secure stable, supportive housing; and to be advocates for the removal of the causes of homelessness.
What We Do:
Abode Services is passionate about ending homelessness for all. Our mission is to end homelessness by assisting low-income, unhoused people, including those with special needs, to secure stable, supportive housing and to be advocates for the removal of the causes of homelessness. We are passionate about our mission and believe everyone should have a home. Founded as a small, shelter-based organization almost 30 years ago, Abode Services has grown into one of the largest and most impactful providers of housing and services in the Bay Area. We are a Housing First agency, which means that all of our programs (even our “front door” crisis responses programs) are geared toward connecting people as quickly as possible to permanent housing, minimizing or eliminating barriers to care, and providing non-judgmental and compassionate services to ensure that even the most vulnerable households can access housing and services. Please visit abodeservices.org for more information.
Abode provides services in six bay area counties: Alameda, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, with more than 470 staff in the following focus areas:
• Supportive Services: these services support getting people into housing, keeping them housed, and improving their health and wellness. Services range from outreach, shelter, and housing navigation (pre-housing), to housing based services in community apartments and permanent supportive housing programs. Services are catered to the program and participant need and range from light support, to full-scope clinical services. Abode provides services to more than 9,100 people annually.
• Housing Services: these services include housing location, landlord engagement, and subsidy administration—working with more than 500 landlords to support 5,600 people in housing.
• Housing Development: we build new housing and rehabilitate existing housing, largely dedicated to people experiencing homelessness. Currently there are more than 10 projects in development.
• Property Management: we support housing that we own and through third party property management agreements—specializing in housing for formerly homeless and special needs.
About the Job:
You are responsible for providing the strategic leadership to ensure that Abode Services is implementing high quality programs that achieve positive housing, health, and wellness outcomes. You are part of an executive leadership team who is committed to ensure that Abode Services operates high-quality, impactful programs; is well-positioned and prepared for emerging opportunities; and otherwise continues to lead the way in ending homelessness in the communities throughout the greater Bay Area. Among other responsibilities, the VP of Programs will oversee the agency’s programs including housing services, emergency services, clinical services, resident services, and subsidy administration throughout Santa Clara, San Mateo, and Santa Cruz counties with the potential to expand to other communities. You will lead a high-level team of three to six skilled program directors, across multiple counties to end homelessness by implementing evidence-based practices in a Housing First model. The VP of Programs is part of a dynamic executive team consisting of the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Real Estate Officer, VP of Programs- Region 1 (Alameda, San Francisco, Napa), VP of Human Resources, VP of Property Management, VP of Community Relations, and Controller.
How You Will Lead:
- Program Oversight: Provide oversight to all Abode programs in Santa Clara (80%), San Mateo (15%) and Santa Cruz County (5%), including emergency services, mental health, social services, and housing programs.
- Program/Staff Supervision: Provide direct supervision to senior management staff of the above-mentioned programs. Provide regular and appropriate feedback including training, opportunities for professional growth, verbal and written improvement plans when needed, and regular evaluations.
- Coordination of Departments: Ensure that programs are successfully integrating supportive services and housing components to stabilize and improve housing, income, and health outcomes of participants.
- Evaluation and Quality Systems Management: Ensure effective data collection and record keeping required for projects. Ensure compliance with all program contractual requirements including but not limited to: Medi-Cal data documentation required for compliance with external auditors
- Quality Improvement: Ensure commitment of program staff to quality improvement processes and accreditation activities.
- Agency Liaison to the Community: Maintain effective public relations. Develop relationships with the community-at-large to instill support and confidence in the agency. Serve as a spokesperson for agency when called upon.
- Fiscal Management: Responsible for taking the lead in the creation of program budgets for agency programs which leads into complete agency budgets. Work collaboratively with other managers and directors to ensure that budgets are complete.
- Executive Management: Contribute to strategic decision making, the cultivation of new business, and high-level stakeholder engagement with other executive leadership including the chief executive officer, chief operating officer, chief financial officer, chief real estate officer, VP of Programs- Region 1, VP of Human Resources, VP of Property Management, VP of Community Relations, and controller.
- Senior Management: Lead, in collaboration with the other vice presidents, the senior management team consisting of directors across Abode’s entire operations. The goals of the senior management team are to implement operations, leverage strategic thinking and decision making, gather and incorporate input from various levels of the agency in operations, and engage with key stakeholders.
Does this sound like you?
• Ten years of professional experience in the human services, social work, or related field.
• Five years’ experience in nonprofit management with a proven track record in successful implementation of programs.
Five years’ experience developing programs for extremely low-income people including those who have experienced homelessness.
• Deep commitment to and demonstrated success discussing, integrating, and promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging throughout a complex and dynamic organization.
• Strong financial management skills, including creating and monitoring program budgets.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively lead, coach, and mentor teams.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational, detail-oriented and time management skills
• Proven ability to work independently, effectively as an individual and part of the team.
• Strong ability to represent the interests of the agency, interact effectively with a diverse population with multiple special needs, and be comfortable building successful collaborative relationships with tenants, staff, and with community networking and resource building.
• A sense of humor!
You’ll Love Working Here Because:
• 100% paid health benefits
• Agency dependent health care contribution
• 403(b) retirement plan with employer match and contribution programs
• 31 PTO days/holidays per year, increasing with tenure
• Professional development opportunities and thought partnership opportunities with other national leaders
• Being a part of a dynamic, mission driven, growth-minded, executive team.
• Working at a double bottom line agency—with both an exceptional track record of fiscal sustainability and quality services to the communities served. Note 4-star Charity Navigator designation for 14+ years.
• Pet-friendly work environment
You will be surrounded by some of the most talented, supportive, smart, and kind leaders and teams -- people you can be proud to work with!
• Accountability: Take responsibility of our promises, words, and actions.
• Integrity: Honesty with each other and our data.
• Respect: Listen, learn, and be kind to all without judgement.
• Commitment: Believe in our mission, practice it with passion.
• Creativity: Try new things and have the courage to make mistakes.
The Diverse Culture:
We believe that we make better decisions and provide quality services when our workforce reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. People of color make up half of our workforce and we strive to recruit and retain employees from all backgrounds.
$100k - 120k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Ready to Apply?
Please submit your resume and cover letter here
or on the Careers page of www.abodeservices.org
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert