Analyst, Innovation & Finance
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Research and Development
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 02110
Country: United States
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For more than 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. JFFLabs is a new entity formed as a subsidiary of JFF. It is a mechanism to provide emerging companies, investors, and partners an interface and guidance for how their work can connect into JFF’s networks and mission. Learn more about JFF and JFFLabs. Join us as we build a future that works.
About the position:
The Analyst, Innovation and Finance, JFFLabs is an exciting new cross-team role focused on helping to develop and grow JFFLabs’ innovation program portfolio. The Analyst, Innovation and Finance will report to the Managing Director, [email protected] As a critical member of the JFFLabs team, the role is designed to be at the center of three exciting and growing initiatives, contributing to and bridging functions among our ETF (Employment Technology Fund), Financing the Future, and Acceleration initiatives.
The successful Analyst, Innovation and Finance candidate will be an innovation and technology generalist, with familiarity and experience with analysis of the startup, education, and workforce ecosystems, as well as business and innovative finance modeling (e.g., income share agreements). This role will provide strategic recommendations and deep insights on startups and leading-edge innovations within the workforce, education, and future of work spaces. As a contributing member of the team, your work will be used to analyze startups, develop and publish market scans, and manage critical programmatic objectives.
The goals for our work are ambitious. The team environment is creative, impact-oriented, generative, and highly collaborative. We are builders and innovators, driving progress in a start-up environment. The Analyst, Innovation and Finance will play an important role on our team, helping to build lines of business designed for impact and sustainability, acting as a critical bridge across these three workstreams. The position therefore requires a dynamic, agile team member who is comfortable across a wide variety of responsibilities, moving forward projects and bodies of work as both an individual contributor and manager.
The location expectations for this role are flexible, including remote and JFF-office-based work.
What you'll do:
Startup and Ecosystem Research
- Start-up and Market Research and Analysis - Perform market research to help identify investment trends and opportunities, research relevant markets and companies, and create reports and synthesize information from that research contributing to internal and external publications. Contribute to our investment and partner engagement analysis process by analyzing startup companies, including their competitive landscape and market size. Assess start-ups’ product, technical, and founding teams to understand projected impact opportunities and potential risks
- Thought Leadership Content Development - Conceive of, develop, and direct the production of highly-compelling original collateral – i.e. case studies, briefs, frameworks, tools/resources – that will drive awareness and action in the market. Your work will also contribute to high profile publications, including market scans and other publications
- Support Deal Flow and Partner Identification - Further develop ETF deal flow and acceleration partner database and tracking system. Source and track companies of interest, surface and highlight companies of interest, and prepare reports supporting our program and investment portfolios
Financing the Future of Skills Development
- Support the Financing the Future Initiative - JFF’s Financing the Future initiative is a robust national conversation and call to action on reimagining the way that we finance education and skills development. You will contribute to an internal cross-functional working group supporting the initiative, offering finance expertise to complement policy, postsecondary education, and communications skill sets
- Provide input into the Financing the Future Initiative strategy as the initiative is set to grow in the near future
Who you are:
- You have a passion for helping workers advance and for leveling the playing field to create economic opportunity for all in a nonprofit environment. You have worked on issues of economic advancement, education reform, and/or workforce development
- You have experience with tech startups, innovative business and financing models, digital transformation, and/or working with stakeholders to build buy-in for the power of technology to address societal challenges
- You have 3 to 5 years of related work experience, with a strong interest or experience with impact investing, or equivalent combination of education and previous experience in management consulting, the startup or accelerator ecosystem, impact investing, and/or finance
- You have excellent financial, analytical and strategic business thinking skills
- You have experience working within a dynamic, start-up like environment and team, providing thought partnership, and contributing to team success
- You have an inclusive approach to your work, working effectively with diverse staff, and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion, and an ability to apply JFF’s core values to all areas of your work
- You are excellent at working both in teams and independently. You are able to make substantive contributions, and positively influence team members and leadership to get things done well in a matrixed work environment
- You are extremely strategic. You understand how decisions get made, you can take in multiple inputs at the same time, and you evaluate what choices are on the table in order to take action and chart a path forward
- You are an experienced project manager who has worked with various sizes of internal and external stakeholder teams. You keep projects in scope, on budget, and on time - all while producing high-quality deliverables
- You believe deeply in the power of the private sector and technology to drive positive change in society. You have a demonstrated ability to analyze companies, markets, and business models to understand impact opportunities and projections
- You have excellent communication skills – both written and spoken. You have the ability to persuasively and efficiently build and deliver presentations for senior executives. You are recognized as an effective facilitator and are able to conceive of and execute high-caliber meetings and sessions with partners and teams
- You have demonstrated entrepreneurial ability and are enthusiastic about exploring and testing new possibilities. You thrive in a start-up environment and are an agile problem-solver
- You contribute to positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams wherever you work
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives and data to continuously improve in your work
- You have expert knowledge of Microsoft and Google business tools and have demonstrated ability to independently create effective, clear, and professional PowerPoint presentations
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.
$75k - 90k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
As part of your application, please apply online at https://boards.greenhouse.io/jobsforthefuture/jobs/4814427002 and include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Yigal Kerszenbaum (Managing Director, [email protected]), outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert