HR and Finance Coordinator
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Youth Development
City: Washington DC
Postal code: 20036
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
At PeacePlayers, we use the power of sport to unite, educate and inspire young people to create a more peaceful world. We offer sport programming, peace education, and leadership development to those living in communities in conflict.
We challenge the hate that is driven by the fear of our differences. We bridge divides between people through the game of basketball and we develop young leaders who help to change perceptions.
Established in 2001, PeacePlayers is an international peacebuilding nonprofit organization that uses sport, primarily basketball, as a vehicle to unite, educate and inspire young people living in divided communities. Based on the premise that children who play together can learn to live together, PeacePlayers has become a worldwide leader in the use of sport to build a more peaceful world, reaching more than 75,000 youth in 20 countries.
At PeacePlayers, our vision is to foster individual and communal connections that create a more peaceful world. The world we live in today has far too many divides – whether racial, religious, ethnic or geographic – and these divisions have created an environment of conflict and instability in our local communities. In partnership with local leaders, we support young people on opposite sides of these divides by using sport as a vehicle to strengthen their leadership and peacebuilding skills to show that we are all more alike than different. We stay with them for the long-term to work towards a more peaceful society for us all – currently
operating in nine year-round sites: the Middle East, South Africa, Northern Ireland, Cyprus, as well as five cities in the U.S. – Baltimore, Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit and Los Angeles.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
In January of 2017, PeacePlayers launched a partnership with Nike to bring PeacePlayers’ proven model of uniting communities through sport to the United States. This partnership piloted growth in 2017 first to Baltimore, Brooklyn and Detroit, and then in the summer of 2018 added programs in Chicago and Los Angeles, with the intention of eventually launching an additional program in Portland (OR). The HR & Finance Coordinator will report to the Head of US Strategy and Operations and support the organizations finance, HR and compliance efforts across all US program sites. The ideal candidate will be trustworthy, highly detail oriented and self-motivated. They will work well and in coordination with a wide range of staff from the US and global
PeacePlayers team. As an entry level position, PeacePlayers seeks someone who is committed and excited to learn. This position will provide the necessary back office support needed to ensure the organization is able to grow and excel in the innovative and critical work of PeacePlayers. A successful person will find ways to best support the staff, infrastructure and operations of the organization while empowering and training other staff to implement key functions of the organization with the values and structures set by PeacePlayers.
40% – Operations/Human Resources
● Lead hiring support, onboarding tasks, employee file management
● Work with Director of Operations on Global Support Team (GST) to standardize processes and internal controls within the US including updating US policies and procedures
● Lead training efforts around child protection to ensure compliance across the US
● Lead/Support on DEI efforts within the US
● Work closely with US Head of Operations and Strategy to develop regional and local staffing strategies
● Work closely with the Head of US Strategy and Operations on developing US Strategic Plan
● Work closely with the Head of US Strategy and operations to manage and evaluate personnel through the lens of PeacePlayers’ core values
40% – Finance
● Support Head of US Strategy and Operations with budgeting process as needed
● Keep accounting software accurate and up to date
● Ensure accurate and timely accounting of all accounts receivable and payables.
● Ensure necessary supporting documentation accompanies each payable and receivable
● Run financial reports as requested to inform the national and city leaders
● Provide financial information for grant applications, reports and any other purposes
20% – Compliance
● Adhere to operational excellence as PeacePlayers refines tools and systems to most efficiently support the management of PeacePlayers’ U.S. entity
● Ensure US compliance with Global Unifying Principles
● Work with the Director of Operations on the GST to ensure the organization’s core values are present in all operations
● Bachelor’s Degree or relevant experience in HR, finance, accounting, or related field required.
● A minimum of two years of full-time experience in an organization supporting their HR and/or finance efforts.
● Basic understanding of nonprofit accounting practices
● Proficient using technology and data, with an advanced level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
● Outstanding communication skills including both verbal and written.
● Ability to coordinate effectively with international staff.
● Extremely organized and detail-oriented to be able to manage all finance and HR deadlines.
● Belief and commitment to the mission of PeacePlayers.
The HR & Finance Coordinator position is based in the United States and can be located anywhere within. Limited travel is required but must be able to travel at times for national meetings, trainings and events. (currently, travel is not required due to the
The HR & Finance Coordinator position is a full-time salaried position with benefits, including health insurance and an employer retirement plan matching program. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Less than $60k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please email a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to PeacePlayers at [email protected] with the subject header “HR & Finance Coordinator.” All applications for the position should be submitted by September 20, 2020.
It is the policy of PeacePlayers to provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. PeacePlayers evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert