Board Member: United Planet
Position Type: Board (Unpaid)
Function: General Management
Primary domain: International/Foreign Affairs
Postal code: 02128
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
The need to build bridges across divides, both locally and internationally, and to address pressing global challenges has never been greater. As an international non-profit organization, United Planet strives to create a world in which all people understand, respect, and support one another - a more united planet. United Planet's global network of leaders and volunteers fosters cross-cultural understanding and addresses shared challenges to unite the world in a community beyond borders.
The underlying principle of our programs is the concept of Relational Diplomacy -- recognizing that the relationship between people of diverse backgrounds is the basic building block for uniting the world. United Planet’s innovative programs are designed to expose our common human bonds, generate respect and appreciation for our cultural, racial, and religious diversity, and enrich lives of our neighbors worldwide. United Planet has been featured throughout international media and CNN selected us as one of only ten nonprofits in the world for their "Be the Change" initiative.
United Planet implements a diverse and holistic range of local, online, and international initiatives to build global understanding and strengthen human connections through service, immersion, leadership development, and dialogue across cultures. Our core international program provides culturally immersive international service and practical training programs from one week to one year in more than 25 countries with a focus on education, health and the environment.
United Planet works with leading institutional partners in both academia, corporate world, and across civil society to provide transformational global learning experiences, while bringing positive impacts to communities worldwide. United Planet volunteers and leaders have served well over 1,000,000 hours worldwide.
Board members are selected to serve three year renewable terms and to fulfill these general requirements. More specific responsibilities will be shared during the interview process.
1. Support and evaluate the chief executive. The board should ensure that the chief executive has the moral and professional support he or she needs to further the goals of the organization.
2. Ensure effective planning. Boards must actively participate in an overall planning process and assist in implementing and monitoring the plan's goals.
3. Monitor and strengthen programs and services. The board's responsibility is to determine which programs are consistent with the organization's mission and monitor their effectiveness.
4. Ensure adequate financial resources. One of the board's foremost responsibilities is to secure adequate resources for the organization to fulfill its mission. 5. Protect assets and provide proper financial oversight. The board must assist in developing the annual budget and ensuring that proper financial controls are in place.
6. Build a competent board. All boards have a responsibility to articulate prerequisites for candidates, orient new members, and periodically and comprehensively evaluate their own performance.
7. Ensure legal and ethical integrity. The board is ultimately responsible for adherence to legal standards and ethical norms.
8. Enhance the organization's public standing. The board should clearly articulate the organization's mission, accomplishments, and goals to the public and garner support from the community.
9. Assist in building partnerships for the organization to expand its local and global network.
10. Participate in quarterly and annual meetings and within one board level committee.
United Planet is seeking a diverse range of candidates with a passion for building a more united planet through diverse initiatives and an interest in serving as proactive and resourceful members of a committed global leadership team.
All members will receive opportunities to participate in United Planet's global programs. Board insurance is provided for all members.
Unpaid Board Position
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter and resume to David Santulli, President, at [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert