Washington Executive Director
Stand for Children
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: General Management
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 98104
Country: United States
Stand is focused on ensuring all students receive a high quality, relevant education, especially those whose boundless potential is overlooked and under-tapped because of their skin color, zip code, first language, or disability.
Your role stands at the intersection of leading the Washington Stand for Children team in the struggle for educational and racial justice to change our education systems for those children and families from under-resourced communities. As the Washington Executive Director at a moment of tremendous need and opportunity, you will be responsible for overseeing and driving the strategy to improve educational outcomes and increase racial equity for students in Washington. As someone deeply motivated by results, impact, and racial justice you will bring your dedication and vision to the role. Additionally, you get the opportunity to work with and develop a talented team who not only cares deeply about justice and equity, but who are bold and strategic and take responsibility for achieving substantial progress toward our mission every year.
Stand is a non-profit education advocacy organization focused on ensuring all students receive a high quality, relevant education, especially those whose boundless potential is overlooked and under-tapped because of their skin color, zip code, first language, or disability.
- Continually refine and advance an ambitious organizational impact strategy for the Washington affiliate and ensure Stand for Children Washington achieves its strategic objectives;
- Fundraise throughout the year to ensure the Washington affiliate meets or exceeds quarterly and annual 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and independent political revenue goals;
- Hire, manage, motivate, and develop a top-performing team of dedicated professionals, including fostering a culture of diversity, inclusion, transparency, and collaboration;
- Help shape and support Stand for Children’s statewide organizing strategy
- Collaborate with the Washington Marketing and Communications Director to promote Stand’s brand and build digital constituencies in targeted districts;
- Work with the Washington Policy & Government Affairs Manager, as well as allies, and staff to develop thoughtful state policy and implementation proposals that will substantially improve student outcomes;
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with key stakeholders, including heads of education organizations and advocacy groups, school district leaders, elected officials, civic and business leaders, education experts, and others;
- Serve as a compelling spokesperson;
- Serve as a productive leader within Stand for Children’s nationwide team and contribute to the growth and impact of the organizations.
Stand for Children consists of two separate entities. Stand for Children, Inc., a grassroots membership organization is exempt under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code, and Stand for Children Leadership Center, a leadership development organization is exempt under section 501(c)(3)
Stand for Children and Stand for Children Leadership Center provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or marital status. We are committed to a diverse and culturally inclusive workplace in which our differences broaden our awareness, enrich our daily experiences and contribute to our collective strength. We predominantly partner with low-income communities of color. Therefore, though race and other legally protected characteristics are never used to make final hiring decisions, we place a particular focus on recruiting staff members who share the backgrounds of the communities we serve.
- An inspirational and collaborative leader who is passionate and has unwavering belief in Stand for Children’s mission and strategy to ensure that all children, regardless of their background, graduate from high school prepared for and with access to college or career training;
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity;
- 10 years’ leadership experience within the non-profit, education, private, or government sectors; 5 years’ experience in advocacy, education, and/or as an Executive Director preferred;
- Demonstrated track record of fundraising success, particularly with individuals, strongly preferred experience securing six-figure, multi-year gifts; experience with 501(c)(4) and political fundraising preferred;
- Experience working in public schools strongly preferred; strong knowledge of education issues a strong plus;
- Superior political strategist and project manager with demonstrated ability to develop and execute electoral and/or legislative campaign strategies and manage tactical execution to achieve results; a demonstrated understanding of Washington state politics;
- Demonstrated success in effectively leading and developing staff; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead collaboratively and decisively, and tap into each team member’s strengths and expertise to set them up for success;
- Outstanding relationship-building skills, with a track record of effective board development and external partnerships;
- The tremendous drive and persistence consistent with high achievers who aspire to achieve transformational outcomes and results;
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to communicate directly and respectfully with staff and external stakeholders;
- Ability to be stationary for extended periods of time and ability to travel to meetings outside of the office; May require the ability to climb stairs.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter at https://stand.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0qash?cjb_hash=O_UpUQ21&apply_now=true
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert