Chief Finance & Administrative Officer
East Harlem Tutorial Program
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
City: New York
Postal code: 10029
State: New York
Country: United States
EHTP is working to dramatically increase the college graduation rate in East Harlem.
Who We Are:
East Harlem Tutorial Program (EHTP) began in 1958 as a children's reading group and has since grown into a multi-site after-school program for traditional public school students and a network of public charter schools focused on significantly increasing the college graduation rate in East Harlem. We are on track to serve at least 25% of East Harlem students by 2025, with enrollment for this year at approximately 2200 students in our schools and after school programs. In 2020, 99% of our seniors were accepted to college, and our current scholars in college are on-track to graduate at eight times the national average of their peers.
At EHTP we also aim to serve as an agent of change and thoughtfully contribute to the national fight for racial equity. Through our organization-wide commitment to anti-racism work, we prepare our scholars to effect change, challenge the status quo, and thrive in the world around them. As staff members, we face our own racial identities and conscious and unconscious biases. With this in mind, all of our professional development, curriculum, organizational materials, and processes are designed with a goal of racial justice. Read our racial equity statement here.
We ground all of our work in racial equity, in our core values, and in our four guiding pursuits: the Revolutionary Pursuit of Love, the Radical Pursuit of Knowledge, the Responsive Pursuit of Healing, and in the Relentless Pursuit of Results. These pursuits inform and are reflected in our current four key strategic priorities: to increase high-impact, high-quality academic curriculum, programming content, staff capacity, and coaching; to embrace and advance our use of technology; to deepen our embodiment of ethical and equitable radical humanity; and to efficiently operationalize teaching, learning, community, and care.
About The Opportunity:
As our growing organization becomes increasingly more complex, we are seeking a Chief Finance & Administrative Officer (CFAO) to set the vision for the coordination and cohesion of our operational and financial work, ensuring that all of our non-instructional work is as deeply rooted in our mission, equitable practice, student-centeredness, and radical humanity and enhances teaching and learning.
Serving as a member of the senior executive team, and reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the CFAO manages our $38MM budget, leads our finance, operations, and human resources teams, and oversee the day-to-day central operations office of the organization, including the strategic and mission-aligned allocation of resources to best serve organization priorities.
The CFAO also provides strategic leadership, analysis and forecasting on new and creative revenue opportunities, our various legal entities and our long term growth and sustainability. The CFAO partners with the Chief Development Officer to manage philanthropic gifts and grants, capital campaign financing, and donor reconciliation. The CFAO partners closely with the CEO and Superintendent/Chief Academic Officer, works with our boards and finance committees, and collaborates on matters of strategic and operational planning, organizational change, business decision-making, and the overall leadership of EHTP.
Areas of Leadership:
Financial Leadership & Strategy
- Shape an organization-wide culture of financial and operational accountability, that encourages both growth and innovation and supports equity and anti-racist decision-making in financial planning and budgeting
- Partner with the CEO and executive team on key strategic issues and decisions, informed by rigorous financial analyses, risk assessments, "what if" scenario modeling, and due diligence; advise on the organization's financial performance and long-term financial planning; manage cash flow processes in alignment with organizational operations
- Partner with the CEO, Superintendent/CAO, and Chief Development Officer to develop and manage a financial plan, including the financial oversight of a current capital campaign designed to increase accessibility and programming; and in the development of creative lines of revenue to support the mission
- Report financial information and trends to a range of audiences as well as manage relationships with the boards and senior leadership of EHTP
Operations Leadership & Strategy
- Lead the design and implementation of systems, processes, and services that support EHTP schools and programs in delivering best-in-class educational outcomes; refine and build a sustainable, scalable, cost-efficient operational infrastructure that supports continued growth
- In partnership with CEO and Superintendent/CAO, execute the network's expansion strategy, to lead the seamless launch of new (or expanding) schools, OST program sites, and to provide support to existing sites and programs; and ensure operational strategies are translated into specific,aligned objectives and plans across functions, locations
- Develops and organizes ongoing, long range, and preventive facilities maintenance and capital improvement plans and programs for all sites, equipment, transportation, and custodial services
Human Resources Leadership & Strategy
- In partnership with Managing Director, Human Resources, develop research-based, strategic priorities and planning for Human Resources including compelling goals, procedures, and guidelines aligned with the strategic goals of EHTP and all teaching and learning programs
- Support the Managing Director, Human Resources in data-informed decision-making to proactively forecast trends and tools for EHTP’s planned growth over the next five years, including adapting structures, reporting, and analysis to measure and monitor performance in induction, compensation, employee relations, and employee satisfaction
- Support the Managing Director, Human Resources in continually assessing all policies, programs, and practices, keeping the Senior Management Team informed of new developments; partner with the Senior Management Team to communicate Human Resources policies, procedures, programs and laws
- Lead teams across finance, operations, and human resources by communicating a compelling vision and strategy for team-functions and goals
- Collaborate with each senior team member to identify and amplify talent across the teams, managing and mentoring individuals to achieve ambitious results, and supporting learning, development, and career growth
- Build a team culture that is aligned to organizational core values and guiding pursuits and fosters a high standard of excellence, accountability, and equity
What Qualifies You:
- You have served in a senior leadership capacity of a similarly complex organization, directly accountable for its finances, operations, and/or administration
- You have a significant understanding of budgeting processes, accounting, audits and financial controls
- You are a strategist who brings clear vision for how to coordinate an organization’s administrative functions
- You have experience conceiving of, developing, and analyzing new revenue opportunities and opportunities for growth
- You are an experienced multi level team leader who effectively manages seasoned professionals and with a focus on effective communication, relationship-building, and well-developed organizational systems; you accelerate and amplify the impact of direct reports and their teams
- You ideally bring some exposure to negotiation with capital and lenders, and legal entities
- You are entrepreneurial, flexible, creative, and resourceful, with the ability to deliver results in a rapidly growing, deadline-driven, fast-paced, dynamic environment
- You believe deeply in EHTP’s mission, core values, and racial equity statement
Individuals seeking employment at East Harlem Tutorial Program are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
$155k - 175k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply: please submit your resume and cover letter by clicking here.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert