For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with Indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
RAN is looking for a strategic and collaborative Insurance Campaign Coordinator to join our Climate and Energy Program. In this position you will use your creative skills in pressure campaigning, grassroots organizing, coalition coordination, and communications to push some of the largest financial institutions in the world to stop fueling the climate crisis and respect human rights.
You will spend most of your time supporting, planning, and implementing strategies to get US insurance companies out of fossil fuels, working in close coordination with RAN’s other climate finance campaigners, Communications, Digital, and Organizing teams, and national and global coalitions.
Our current key campaign target is Boston-based Liberty Mutual. You will mobilize grassroots pressure and engage potential allies including the media, prospective insurance employees, and insurance policyholders. The ideal candidate will enjoy interacting with people whether internally at RAN, within a national coalition, or at street protests.
This position is full-time, with a competitive salary and excellent benefits and will work closely with and report directly to RAN’s Energy Finance Campaigner.
The position is based in the US.
Specific duties may include:
● Collaborate & support in designing and implementing strategies to get US insurance companies to stop insuring and investing in fossil fuels, with an initial focus on building pressure in Boston on Liberty Mutual;
● Develop a solid knowledge of the role of insurance companies in funding climate change, as well as the political, economic and human rights issues that relate to RAN’s climate and energy work;
● Support research to be used for crafting campaign strategy and activities;
● Develop and maintain relationships with potential and established allied groups and coalitions;
● Support in expanding RAN’s collaborative organizing into diverse constituencies and frontline communities;
● Act as a spokesperson for RAN in the media and at public events;
● Assist in facilitating training for activists in non-violent direct action, media and communication skills, and grassroots organizing;
● Work openly and cooperatively with other team members;
● Share responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.