Monitoring and Evaluation Systems Specialist
Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
City: Palo Alto
Postal code: 94304
Country: United States
Gordon and Betty Moore established the foundation to create positive outcomes for future generations. In pursuit of that vision, we foster path-breaking scientific discovery, environmental conservation, patient care improvements and preservation of the special character of the San Francisco Bay Area.
Monitoring and Evaluation Systems Specialist
The Adaptive Management and Evaluation team supports the mission of the foundation by providing technical support and guidance related to adaptive management, including program design, ongoing monitoring, evaluation, and learning in all four program areas. The department also facilitates key elements of effective evidence-based and evaluation activities including the design and development of information systems for enhanced decision-making. It also manages and coordinates foundational-wide activities related to the integration of the business processes essential to reach the foundation’s goals.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Systems Specialist position is primarily responsible for providing technical support to program and infrastructure teams to conceptualize, design, develop, and manage monitoring and evaluation systems. It offers a well-rounded top performer with a strong knowledge of project design, planning, execution, monitoring, data management and analysis, data tools, the communication of complex concepts and data, and strategic planning – primarily in the fields of environmental conservation and science – the opportunity to work as a team member of the Adaptive Management and Evaluation team in support of program and infrastructure departments of the Moore Foundation. The Systems Specialist will work closely with program and infrastructure staff, in-house and third-party information technology personnel, senior leadership, and grantees, and as such, requires a high level of technical and interpersonal relationship management skill.
The systems specialist reports directly to the Chief Adaptive Management and Evaluation Officer and will work closely with and in support of the team. The position is based at Foundation headquarters in Palo Alto, California; however due to the COVID-19 pandemic, work will initially occur remotely.
Key Responsibilities and Program Support
Program-based information system design and execution:
- Work with all four programs (Environmental Conservation Program, Science, Bay Area, and Patient Care) to assess data management, analysis, and related communications needs.
- Work with program staff to refine theories of change, learning agendas, and monitoring plans to prepare for information system design.
- On a continuous basis, work with program teams to analyze and present M&E data, prepare results for internal and external (primarily within the foundation) use, and determine opportunities for adaption and learning.
- Determine options for aggregating data up from the individual grant level to the initiative level.
- Work with program teams to understand M&E data requirements and communicate these requirements to the Information Technology team. Co-design systems in close collaboration with the Information Technology team.
- Collaborate with the foundation’s Information Technology team to research information technology options to meet program’s M&E needs.
- Field test/Pilot/Prototype options for information management systems for various initiatives.
- Work with external consultants and foundation Information Technology staff to co-develop user-friendly M&E systems for program staff.
Foundation-wide information system design and execution:
- Work with the Information Technology and Adaptive Management and Evaluation departments and the senior leadership team to assess cross-foundation data management, analysis, and communications needs.
- Research M&E technology options to meet needs at various levels of aggregation.
- Work with program staff to field test and refine potential foundation-wide M&E information system designs.
- Work with and help manage external consultants to assist in meeting foundation M&E information system needs.
- Assist Adaptive Management and Evaluation in the design of a communications and outreach plan to the staff and board of the foundation.
- Assist Information Technology and Adaptive Management and Evaluation work with senior leadership to ensure the adoption of M&E systems that meet the needs of operating units, programs and the foundation as a whole.
Adaptive Management and Evaluation systems support:
- Work with Adaptive Management and Evaluation team members to implement and maintain efficient tools for team collaboration, including use of shared documentation and capture of knowledge.
- Implement and maintain internal systems to support the team’s budget, contracts, and resource management.
- Implement and maintain processes to streamline the teams reporting to other internal and external stakeholders.
- Train foundation staff on the use of program specific and cross-foundation M&E information systems.
- Develop written guidance on core concepts and functions of the M&E information system.
- A master’s, or other advanced degree in
project or data management or another related field.
- At least 5 years of work experience in
for-profit and nonprofit organizations, preferably in environmental
conservation, applied science fields, and/or health.
- Experience working in a service-provision
context, providing technical support to teams and individuals.
- Experience in strategic planning, process
improvement, and performance monitoring.
- Strong skills and ample experience in project
and program planning implementation, monitoring, and evaluation. Familiarity
with and experience using project cycle management concepts, approaches, and
- Experience designing M&E systems that
aggregate the results of multiple projects and/or grants into useful analytics
- Strong skills and ample experience in
information technology, including spatial data systems, systems integration,
data analytics and visualization, security requirements, and communications
- Knowledge of and proficiency in Microsoft
products, including Excel, Teams, SharePoint, Power Apps, and PowerBI.
- Proven experience selecting and using
appropriate M&E information system platforms for decision support systems.
- Knowledge of and skills in M&E technology
- Strong research, communications and writing
The ideal candidate
will also have demonstrated ability to:
- Think critically,
identify, define, and frame problems and propose solutions in various contexts
- Work across a
complex organization with diverse programs, many stakeholders, and competing
- Provide practical
and innovative solutions in the face of real-time issues.
- Effectively design
and manage large group interactions, and effectively facilitate meetings and
priorities and goals for projects, and coordinate deadlines and deliverables.
- Work effectively
across programs’ varying teams and maintain up-to-date knowledge of each
initiative/portfolio’s activities and strategic priorities.
- Have a diplomatic
demeanor, strong inter-personal skills and excellent written and verbal
- Maintain a flexible
and positive approach to problem solving in a collaborative team environment
and be comfortable with ambiguity.
- Embrace a
collaborative and team-focused model.
- Understand and
accommodate challenges and constraints on data collection and reporting
capacity from program staff and grantee perspectives including designing
systems to address demands.
- Build trusted
relationships, motivate, influence and delegate when appropriate.
to support and promote the foundation and your colleagues through commitment to
enhancing the foundation’s considerations of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
The ideal candidate
will also demonstrate the following foundation attributes, which describe how
we strive to do our work with each other and our partners:
· Committed to Excellence
· Open and Honest
· Humble and
In addition to the
above attributes, Adaptive Management and Evaluation team members strive to
hold themselves accountable, at the highest level of professional conduct, in
the following areas:
· Emotional Intelligence
· Productivity and Quality
· Time Management
· Customer Service
Compensation includes a competitive base salary and an excellent package of health, retirement savings and other benefits.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Martha Montag Brown & Associates, LLC has been retained for this search. Interested and qualified candidates can apply by sending a cover letter, resume and salary requirement by email to: [email protected]. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the ordinance. The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates for this search. We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion and welcome individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. All correspondence will remain confidential.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert