Director, Integrated Capitals & Communities
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: General Management
Primary domain: Foundation/Grantmaking
City: New Haven
Postal code: 00000
Country: United States
Heron is a private foundation that has been around since 1992. Its mission is to help people and communities help themselves out of poverty.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Since 1992, Heron has worked to help people and communities help themselves. Always the servant leader, Heron has understood from its earliest days that its impact is rooted in the success of others. Heron values the collective wisdom of its partners — on the ground in communities and within the capital markets — and uses that wisdom to help the foundation think differently.
Over the past 25 years, those values have led Heron to challenge what we perceived as broken conventions in philanthropy. The foundation began making general operating grants when restricted grants were the norm. Heron committed to investing in alignment with its mission when others expected it to focus exclusively on financial returns. And Heron constantly works with partners to leverage different tools (financial and non-financial alike) in service to mission.
Heron is currently working to shift from traditional philanthropy toward a model of participatory philanthropy, ceding the authority to make investment decisions to local integrated capitals committees in a number of communities across the U.S. It is in the process of forming its first committee with a diverse group of founding members that are trying to create a shared vision for their community.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director, Integrated Capitals & Communities, will work closely with Heron's community partners, managing those relationships and conducting research to support them. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to be a part of locally driven systems-level change. The Director, Integrated Capitals & Communities, reports to the Vice President, Integrated Capitals & Communities, and will oversee Heron's work in 2-3 communities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Support and maintain strong relationships with external stakeholders through effective and efficient communications.
- Strategically source and maintain excellent, proactive relationships with a comprehensive set of community partners characterized by trust, accessibility, accountability, and resource-sharing
- Source potential grants and investments within each community, and steward the due diligence, recommendation, and monitoring process for them in coordination with the operations team
- Serve as Heron's point person in the community for speaking engagements and presentations (which could include doing research, drafting talking points, and creating slides, etc.).
Strategy and Analysis
Support and create leverage for partners, helping to ensure that Heron achieves its strategic objectives.
- Serve as a key strategic leader in embodying Heron's values
- Conduct extensive quantitative and qualitative research, with a focus on broad community landscapes as well as individual organizations that operate in the context of any given community
- Seek and integrate new and possibly disparate data sources into a coherent analysis that drives strategic recommendations
- Deconstruct financial statements to better understand and communicate an organization's "story" (including where its resources come from and how those resources get used)
- Collect and analyze pre-existing data from partners to better understand what they choose to monitor and why they choose to do so (without creating burdensome new reporting requirements for them)
- Conduct research and analysis on behalf of Heron's community partners to support their own strategic objectives
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Ten or more years of professional experience, working closely with community leaders creating positive lasting changes in their communities
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving skills combined with superb project and relationship management skills
- Extensive experience leading qualitative and quantitative research projects, with the ability to distill complex data to drive effective decision making
- Demonstrated record of cultivating productive and lasting relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders at all levels and across a variety of contexts
- Strong writing skills and an ability to clearly support communications with investment partners, grantees, and other key stakeholders
- Exceptional professional judgment and a listening orientation, with the ability to challenge others with humility and thoughtfulness
- An entrepreneurial and flexible orientation, comfort with ambiguity, and the ability to maneuver effectively in the face of rapidly evolving priorities and workstreams
- A demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, lead projects, meet multiple concurrent deadlines, and prioritize
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY: https://www.on-ramps.com/jobs/1957
This organization is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Posted By: On-Ramps
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert