Chief Program Officer
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 02116
Country: United States
BES is a national non-profit organization that identifies and prepares excellent leaders to transform education in their communities. From school founders and executive directors, to operations leaders, deans of students, and directors of curriculum and instruction, BES trains leaders to build schools, to ensure their schools excel, and to sustain their results over time. Since 1993, BES has prepared leaders to found more than 185 schools in 46 cities across 21 states and Washington, DC, educating over 58,000 students each year. 77% of these students qualify for free or reduced lunch, and 90% identify as students of color. In all, BES has trained more than 2,500 leaders to found, lead, and grow schools that reflect and respond to the needs of their communities.
BES is looking for a Chief Program Officer to join our team in the next 6-12 months. The Chief Program Officer will oversee all programmatic efforts at BES as we prepare to adopt a new strategic plan in summer 2020. Our refined approach is more deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, is community driven, and is focused both on academic and non-academic student outcomes that close the opportunity gap. We are looking for a proven leader who can lead our team to build on our established strengths and commitment to academic excellence while simultaneously expanding our definitions of success and evolving our programmatic offerings to match those expanded definitions and the evolving needs of education leaders.
- Manage Leaders: Oversee and integrate the work of the senior leaders of all BES programs, which currently include the BES Fellowship, Leaders for Emerging Networks of Schools (LENS), Follow On Support, and Leadership Intensives.
- Manage Ongoing Partnerships: Create and manage the structures to maximize partnerships with schools and school systems across the country. This includes the collaborative development and evolution of a menu of options for partner engagement and ongoing communication with partners.
- Determine Programmatic Strategy: Drawing upon current programming and potential new programming, develop strategy to meet the needs of partners to build, excel, and sustain their leadership results.
- Strengthen and Operationalize Programmatic Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Building on the work and progress of our 18+ month deep dive into diversity, equity, and inclusion, build the systems and accountability to operationalize our commitment to DEI throughout all BES programs.
Required Skills, Experience, and Competencies:
- Outstanding Integrator: Is able to take a variety of programs and programmatic components and lead efforts to build a coherent whole. Recognizes and honors the strengths of programs and leaders and is able to build and operate from a framework for leadership development that grows school-based leadership talent at every level.
- Proven Leader in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: Has a track record of managing racially diverse teams to ambitious goals, and of cultivating diverse talent. Has a vision for the experience of students and families of color in schools. Has a vision for the experience of leaders of color in both leadership development programs and ultimately in their roles leading schools and networks of schools. Has a track record of making commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion practical, tangible and results-oriented.
- Track Record of Success Managing Partnerships: Has experience developing and maintaining partnerships with schools and other program participants.
- Goal-Driven: Is ultimately driven by student and school-level results, and orients BES programming around the needs of schools to meet the needs of students. Is able to assess progress, adjust course and hold a high bar for excellence along the way.
Preferred Skills, Experience and Competencies:
- Experience Managing National Education Programs: Has led or integrated national leadership development or other education programs serving low-income students, families and schools.
- Experience Managing School Leaders: Has coached and managed school leaders to academic and non-academic results and lasting improvement.
- School Leadership Experience: Has led an academically successful school serving low-income students. Has also achieved results in the areas of SEL, character education, or broader student outcomes. Has experience working with a diversity of schools in terms of size, governance, and per pupil funding models.
- 30-40% travel
- Can be based anywhere in the United States
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Apply for this position here:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert