Chief of Staff, Director of Operations and Strategy
Mindset Scholars Network
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 80111
Country: United States
The Mindset Scholars Network’s mission is to advance our scientific understanding of learning mindsets in order to improve student outcomes and expand educational opportunity. It conducts original interdisciplinary research, builds capacity for high quality mindset scholarship, and disseminates the latest scientific knowledge through outreach to education stakeholders. The Network serves as an authoritative resource for reliable, research-based information about learning mindsets, including: Growth Mindset, Belonging, and Purpose & Relevance.
This Director level, full-time position is newly created and will report directly to the Executive Director (ED). The Chief of Staff, Director of Operations and Strategy (COS), will serve as a trusted partner, operator, implementer, and integrator to advance work across the organization and support key cross-functional activities. The ideal candidate will bring strategic leadership with the ability to implement systems, execute objectives, and promote efficiency. They will work with the ED and leadership team on strategic initiatives, institutional planning, program development, operational efficiency, and problem resolution. As the ED’s “right-hand” person, this role requires a highly resourceful, emotionally intelligent, detail oriented, and self-motivated individual with a combination of focus and flexibility, as well as a willingness to play an active, behind-the-scenes role. This Chief of Staff role is for someone passionate about operations, strategy, and team culture with an ability to bring ideas to fruition based on MSN’s mission and vision.
This is a new role in the organization and is created following the development of a new adaptive strategy that catalyzes greater collaboration and integration across research, practice, and policy. The hired candidate will work with the Executive Director to shape this role over time.
As a team, we seek a colleague who:
- Is committed to work that benefits students and advances educational equity;
- Is excited to learn about insights from research to advance our team’s collective vision and impact;
- Is passionate about continuously improving their own work and that of our team;
- Is energized by the prospect of being an integral part of a small, remotely staffed and highly collaborative and productive team; and,
- Can simultaneously think about the ‘big picture’ and execute on day-to-day management and planning skills.
- At least 10 years of progressive cross-functional experience, as a Chief of Staff or similar capacity
- Experience in the education sector strongly preferred
- Experience working closely with executives confidently and collaboratively; C-suite experience such as presenting to EDs and boards of directors a plus
- Experience developing, executing, and overseeing a strategic vision
- Experience working cross-functionally in areas including research, development, client engagement, or other fields
- Experience spearheading and managing projects with multiple contributors and work streams from conception to completion on time and within budget
- Experience managing and creating capacity-building opportunities for junior colleagues
- Strong knowledge of operational systems, structures, and ways of working both with a collective team and an Executive Office
- Exceptional communication skills, including written, verbal, and graphical; ability to design written products that convey ideas clearly and persuasively
- Ability to work in a small, highly motivated, and fast-moving remote office / telecommuting environment with frequent change and innovation
- Ability to creatively solve problems to ensure deliverables are met and pitch in when necessary at all task levels
- Time management skills to handle the competing priorities of several projects and ongoing organizational responsibilities
- Strong people management and culture-enhancing skills
- Culturally open-minded, flexible, open to suggestions and opinions, eager to learn and grow, direct but polite, and organized in all aspects of work
- Ability to collaborate productively and harmoniously in a team, while also being able to self-manage completion of work tasks independently with minimal oversight and exercise good judgment and sound decision-making
- Strong self-efficacy and emotional intelligence to cultivate team-wide respect and trust
- Passion, energy, and appreciation for motivating and inspiring teams; ability to build relationships at all levels of an organizations
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
We welcome and encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds who can bring unique perspectives to the table to apply. We are looking for people committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment that prioritizes continuous professional ‘stretching’ and growth and to helping each other make a positive contribution to the world. No location preference; people in all United States locations are encouraged to apply. This position may require domestic travel to two to three meetings per year, and is considered exempt for overtime purposes.
Please click here to apply via Prime’s website. You will be required to submit a resume and two written responses through the application process. Email any questions to [email protected].
Posted By: Mindset Scholars Network
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert