Chief Development Officer
The Trevor Project
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Human Services
City: New York
Postal code: 00000
State: New York
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
The mission of The Trevor Project is to end suicide among gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning young people. The organization works to fulfill this mission through four strategies:
1. Provide crisis counseling to LGBTQ young people thinking of suicide.
2. Offer resources, supportive counseling and a sense of community to LGBTQ young people to reduce the risk that they become suicidal.
3. Educate young people and adults who interact with young people on LGBTQ-competent suicide prevention, risk detection and response.
4. Advocate for laws and policies that will reduce suicide among LGBTQ young people.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Trevor Project is the world's largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world's largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We've been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Chief Development Officer leads the strategic direction and overall management of fundraising operations across individual, corporate, foundation, events, and public funding sources. Managing a department of more than ten, including managers of managers, this individual is responsible for dramatically growing the organization's current budget of about $25 million. The Chief Development Officer will serve as a key representative of The Trevor Project, engaging a broad spectrum of funders and supporters as the organization continues to grow and diversify its revenue streams. This individual will also serve as a key member of the executive leadership team and provide thought partnership across the organization. With significant fundraising experience and the ability to build strong and enduring relationships, the Chief Development Officer will ensure The Trevor Project creates and delivers on its ambitious strategic plan to save LGBTQ young lives.
Who you are:
- Fundraising expert. You have deep knowledge of both the art and science of fundraising, and have a proven track record as a fundraiser in dynamic and growing organizations
- Creative and bold. You think out of the box when it comes to fundraising strategies. Your innovation inspires others to think differently and brings new opportunities to Trevor that will help drive systemic changes
- Inspiring. You're a leader that brings incredible people along with you. Whether to internal stakeholders or external partners, you can articulate a clear vision and how everyone can play important roles in pursuing Trevor's mission
- Data-minded. You are informed by data and readily leverage it to understand opportunities and translate strategy into action
- Action-oriented. You know how to get things done and are driven by results. You move quickly and smartly. You love to set challenging goals and develop plans to achieve them
- Relationship-driven. You love having the opportunity to work across diverse constituents, representing a wide range of donors and members of the community who support LGBTQ youth
- Organized and efficient. You know how to manage a large number of priorities across multiple teams and initiatives, using your time and the time of others effectively. You know that results take more than good strategy to succeed
- Collaborative. You know the best results come from teamwork, and can work closely with all parts of a growing organization, regardless of department or role
- Strong manager. You have a track record overseeing high performers who are experts in their areas. You can be a thought-partner while also ensuring results
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn't mean we don't have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too
New York, NY or Los Angeles, CA
What you'll do:
- Develop and refine a comprehensive annual fundraising strategy in alignment with The Trevor Project's organizational vision and goals
- Set annual and multi-year fundraising goals and coach the development team to meet/exceed these goals
- As a spokesperson of the organization, display deep LGBTQ competency through words and actions both internally and externally
- Oversee the hiring, managing, mentoring, and evaluation of an experienced and highly talented staff, fostering an environment of commitment, passion, and professionalism
- Personally manage a portfolio of current and prospective donors at the highest levels of giving capacity
- Actively partner with the CEO and board leadership on board management, including identification and recruitment of new members, as well as engagement of existing members, and coordination of board giving
- Build and ensure the efficient use of fundraising systems and processes, and oversee accurate and timely reporting
- Serve as a key member of The Trevor Project's executive team and act as an advisor and thought partner on all aspects of the organization's life-saving work
- Advise the CEO on high-priority initiatives and opportunities for The Trevor Project
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Generous vacation, holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), and Summer Fridays
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Fun office environment and passionate team. It's NBD around here if Jonathan Van Ness or Imagine Dragons drops into our office.
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people every day
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY:
Posted By: On-Ramps
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert