FINANCIAL AID SPECIALIST I
Application Deadline: 10/07/2020
Ideal Candidate Statement
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
• Experience working in the Post-Secondary environment
• Knowledge of Financial Aid systems (NSLDS, FAA Access, COD, FSA)
• Understanding of Title IV programs (Pell, Loans, Federal Work Study)
• Understanding of State Programs (Cal Grant, Chafee, Success Grant)
• Strong work ethic and ability to prioritize multiple tasks and follow through in a timely manner
• Excellent customer service skills
• Knowledge and understanding of student development and student services;
• Excellent listening, strong written and verbal communication skills;
• A strong student-focus, and an ability to enthusiastically and effectively assist students individually and in groups;
• Ability to interpret and research appropriate inquiries concerning student records and grades;
• Ability to communicate and access information through the internet and social media;
• Ability to work closely and collaborate with staff as well as college administrators, faculty and staff;
• Proficiency in MS Office suite as well as ability to learn software and database programs;
• Awareness of on-campus and community resources;
• Ohlone prides itself as a Learning College with the motto of “A World of Cultures United in Learning” and we are looking for staff who embrace diversity in serving students with varied backgrounds and learning styles; staff who are highly ethical, trustworthy, credible, loyal and respectful of diverse views and opinions.
• The College has a firm commitment to environmental sustainability and looks to all employees to support this important goal.
Job Description Summary
This is a 100%, 12 month, Classified, Categorically Funded (77%) Position
This position is partially funded by categorical funds, and employment at 100% is subject to those funds being available.
Under the direction of the Supervisor- Financial Aid, assure the proper awarding of financial aid to students in accordance with College policies and procedures and State and federal laws and regulations; assure the accuracy, functionality and effectiveness of an assigned database; conduct review and awarding of federal and State financial aid including grants and loans; transmit awards to Business Services to assure proper disbursement of funds.
The Financial Aid Specialist I is the first level in the series. Incumbents review financial aid applications and assure proper financial aid systems integrity. The Financial Aid Specialist II is the second level in the series. Incumbents are responsible for coordinating a program within the Financial Aid Department such as Veterans Admissions or CalGrants.
Assure the proper awarding of financial aid to students in accordance with College policies and procedures and State and federal laws and regulations; maintain, update and utilize an assigned database; update Communications Management codes and awarding rules; establish automated email responses to students, including missing documents and satisfactory academic progress emails; notify students of financial aid status.
Assure the accuracy, functionality and effectiveness of an assigned database; create and maintain student case load file systems; import Institutional Student Information Records and Common Origination and Disbursement records into database; export corrections to the Department of Education and other appropriate agencies as required; process direct loan records.
Assist students with the financial aid process; assist with the completion of applications; collect student and parent financial data; evaluate student special circumstances; verify individual documents including dependency status, employment status, unusual enrollment and marital status.
Conduct review and awarding of federal and State financial aid including grants and loans; determine Title IV eligibility utilizing an assign financial aid database; prepare and submit application documents to appropriate agencies as required; calculate student attempted units, repeated classes, developmental coursework and previous financial aid; rectify missing, incomplete or incorrect documents.
Review Board of Governors Fee Waiver applications and award fee waivers to eligible students; process rebilling to student receivable accounts and adjust charges; provide technical assistance to students regarding refund collection.
Transmit awards to Business Services; assure the accuracy of financial aid data and the proper disbursement of funds; reconcile federal and State financial aid awards with College records.
Communicate with the California Student Aid Commission to transmit GPA records and enrollment files.
Process disqualification and excessive unit appeals; calculate student attempted units, repeated classes, developmental coursework and previous financial aid; rectify missing, incomplete or incorrect documents; send notifications to students regarding outcomes.
Complete financial aid verification forms from realty offices for students.
Prepare and maintain a variety of narrative and statistical reports, records and files related to personnel and assigned activities.
Communicate with administrators, students, personnel and outside organizations to coordinate activities and programs, resolve issues and conflicts and exchange information.
Operate a computer and assigned software programs; operate other office equipment as assigned.
Attend a variety of meetings as assigned.
Perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Federal and State financial aid laws, policies and procedures.
Department of Education COD interface.
Transferable and non-transferable college coursework.
Communications Management set up and rule writing.
Oral and written communication skills.
Applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Operation of a computer and assigned software.
Assure the proper awarding of financial aid to students in accordance with College policies and procedures and State and federal laws and regulations.
Assure the accuracy, functionality and effectiveness of an assigned database.
Conduct review and awarding of federal and State financial aid including grants and loans.
Transmit awards to Business Services.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Operate a computer and assigned office equipment.
Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
Meet schedules and time lines.
Maintain records and files.