Communications Specialist - Writer
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
City: New York
Postal code: 10004
State: New York
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
Glasswing International is an innovative non-profit that addresses poverty and violence through public education, health, and community empowerment programs. Through civic participation and volunteerism, Glasswing empowers communities, as well as providing educational and enrichment opportunities for at-risk children and youth in Latin America, the Caribbean, and New York City, enabling them to thrive despite adversity.
Our cross-sector model builds partnerships across public, private, and civil society sectors, leveraging human, financial, and material resources to achieve the greatest – and most sustainable – impact possible. We strengthen communities’ existing resources rather than focusing on their needs and deficiencies, and believe that every person, regardless of educational or socioeconomic level, has the potential to give and effect change. This approach is not only more cost-effective and avoids duplicating efforts, but also empowers individuals and communities, promoting sustainability.
Glasswing plans to expand its communications outreach with donors, including individuals, businesses, and institutions, as well as the general public in New York and the US. The Communications Specialist - Writer will play a critical role in this growth and serve as a key player in creating impactful stories and messaging, inspiring materials, and helping to manage donor information. We are looking for someone who loves to write, is a strong writer and creative problem solver, and has experience writing and editing a variety of communications materials. This position will work with and reports to the US Country Director and work closely with the regional Communications team.
- Develop written content for external communications including but not limited to newsletters, fundraising appeals, website content, success stories, event materials, fact sheets, and impact reports from the field.
- Coordinate with regional communications team where Glasswing operates (Central America, Mexico, and Caribbean) to create a pipeline of stories that demonstrates Glasswing’s impact.
- Put together materials to sell & package Glasswing’s work to donors and potential partners
- Produce, review, and edit communications materials and reports to partners / companies.
- Track performance of communications outreach efforts, to better understand successful messaging and adjust future messaging accordingly.
- Collaborate with graphic designer to produce attractive and appropriate designed collateral.
- Work with the US Country Director to engage supporters in innovative and creative ways to show appreciation and the impact of their gifts and foster continued support.
- Support annual fundraising efforts, gift entry, processing, and database accuracy, sending thank you letters, and executing other operational tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Journalism, Communications, or English
- 2-3 years of experience in communications required
- Demonstrated outstanding writing and storytelling skills, a sharp eye for detail, and ability to articulate complex ideas and content
- Experience writing communications for a variety of audience
- Ability to work with stakeholders at all levels of the organizationAble to work in a dynamic and fast-changing work environment.
- Attention to detail and ability to think critically about the task at hand
- Strong project management with the ability to juggle various projects and deadlines.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and G Suite.
- Experience with Communications and/or Fundraising Software a plus
- Spanish Language fluency a plus
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter, 2 writing samples (e.g. newsletter, success story, appeal), and professional references (please include contact details and your relationship to the individual).
Please send application material to Mark Loyka at: [email protected]. Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial phone screening.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert