Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Information Services/Technology
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
Postal code: Open
Country: United States
About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is a global non-profit organization that works to protect the Internet as a place of opportunity. We connect and empower communities to ensure the Internet remains trustworthy—open, globally connected, secure, and a resource for good in the world. We believe the Internet is for everyone. But it’s more than just a privilege; it’s our responsibility to improve it.
We mobilize technologist, end users, potential users, policymakers, government agencies and institutional and corporate partners to defend and promote the collaborative inter-networking, technical standards, and protocols that grow and strengthen the Internet.
If you believe in the power and possibility of the Internet, be part of our mission.
About the Position
We are looking for a savvy data engineering professional to join our data analytics team. The ideal candidate is interested in being one of our lead engineers to help the expansion, development and operations of our data pipeline architecture. This will be in support of many internal processes and the platforms that are critical for several of our mission-related projects. The Data Engineer must be self-directed and adaptable in a fast-paced environment with evolving needs.
To succeed in this data engineering position, the Data Engineer should have strong analytical skills and the ability to combine data from different sources. Data engineer skills also include familiarity with several programming languages and knowledge of learning machine methods.
Location: United States (Remote available)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect and document technical requirements related to reporting for our Board of Trustees, Executive team, Project Leads, Information Technology team, and others.
- Identify, analyze, design, and implement solutions to automate manual reporting processes and data delivery
- Build, deploy, and maintain infrastructure required for extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) of data from a wide variety of data sources
- Work with stakeholders across our organization to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Qualifications & Skills
The ideal candidate will have 5-7 years of experience and proficiency in the following areas:
- Python 3.x (Primary libraries include Pandas, Requests, Asyncio, SQLAlchemy, Pytest, Falcon)
- Relational and non-relational databases (Postgres, MySQL, MongoDB)
- Pipeline orchestration tools (Apache Airflow, Dell Boomi)
- Cloud server deployment and management (AWS, Digital Ocean, Linux-based)
- Object storage solutions (Digital Ocean Object Store, S3)
- Message queuing services (AWS SQS, RabbitMQ, Redis, Celery)
- Container orchestration systems (Kubernetes)
- CI/CD tools (Jenkins, TravisCI)
- Version control software (Git/Github/GitLab)
- Web scraping (Selenium, Splinter, BeautifulSoup)
Additional experience/familiarity with one or more of the following domains a plus:
- Data Warehouses (Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift)
- Developing visualizations using BI tools (Tableau, Grow, Looker)
- Working with Salesforce, Netsuite, and SAP Concur APIs
- Machine Learning Platforms/Libraries (scikit-learn, Tensorflow)
- Stream processing (Apache Kafka, Apache Spark, Pyspark)
- Developing scripts in Microsoft Excel (VBA)
The candidate should also have:
- Strong analytic and organizational skills, and have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communicator and collaborator.
- Ability to convey information clearly, simply; produce reports, presentations, analysis.
- Experience working with a Globally distributed workforce and ability to work across time zones
- Commitment to the Internet Society’s mission, values and objectives.
- Ability to travel as needed
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications. Applications will be evaluated until the position has been filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee. Applicants may be asked to provide examples of past work.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Apply at the company website:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert