Rice 360° Digital Communication Specialist
DepartmentRice 360°: Institute for Global Health
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Requisition Number: S20400
Open Date 02/25/2020 - Close Date 10/13/2020
Salary Information: $37,100 – $49,200
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasional weekend/evening work.
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Eligible for Overtime: No
The Rice 360° Institute for Global Health offers innovative programs to engage undergraduate students in the design and implementation of new technologies to solve real global health challenges. Through a Global Health Technologies minor, international summer internships, and post-baccalaureate fellowships, these early stage technologies are prototyped, evaluated, refined, deployed and scaled across the world.
Rice 360° has become a leader in global health education, research and implementation, focused on experiential and problem-based learning, and recognized as a model of excellence by Science magazine and the US National Academy of Engineering.
The Rice 360° digital communication specialist, under the supervision of the director of communications, will build, cultivate, advocate for, respond to, monitor, and grow a digital community on behalf of Rice 360°, including for the NEST360 project. The digital communication specialist will also maintain and revise the Rice 360° and NEST360 websites.
The ideal candidate has superior writing skills with the ability to craft written and multimedia content and a demonstrated sensitivity to low resource settings.
Education Required: Bachelor's Degree
Major/Discipline: Degree in marketing, communications, or related discipline.
Substitution for Education Requirement: Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Experience Required: 1 year
Experience in at least three of the following:
- Experience in developing and implementing social media and digital media campaigns in a professional setting
- Experience in content marketing, content growth and SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Experience with web optimization tools
- Google Analytics experience
- PPC (pay-per-click) experience
Substitution for Experience Requirement: Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
- Experience producing written and multimedia digital content on global health or related field (e.g., public-facing scientific, health, or public-health communications) topics
- Experience designing for low- or under-resourced settings, preferably sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience working in a highly collaborative and multi-cultural environment
- Previous internship or work experience at a digital agency
- Experience establishing and adhering to organizational brand standards
- Experience collaborating on video, gifs, social media memes, and digital storytelling
License/Certification Required: None
License/Certification Preferred: Google Analytics certification
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Familiar with technology, social platforms, current and future trends
- Organized and creative
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to take direction and work to meet expected deadlines and schedules
- Demonstrated team player
- Superior written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to craft written and multimedia content
- Working knowledge of social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn, as well as scheduling tools such as Hootsuite, Buffer, and Sprout
- Clear understanding of social media KPI’s
- Ability to use social media for brand awareness and impressions
- Good understanding of web standards and usability methods
- Ability to design and implement web services
- Working knowledge of search engine optimization best practices
- Current knowledge of both white hat and black hat SEO strategies to stay within search engine guidelines
- Working knowledge of Adobe creative suite, including Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign for PC
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex information with clear and compelling graphics
- Ability to work under deadline with flexibility, tact, good judgment, discretion, and take initiative
- Demonstrates Rice 360° Core Values: Trust, Respect, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork, and Service
- Demonstrated sensitivity to low resource settings
Internal / External Contacts:
Internal: Frequent contact with Rice 360 staff, faculty, and Rice partners in public relations and other departments
External: Contact with NEST collaborators in Malawi, Kenya, Tanzania and Nigeria
Physical Demands: Requires extended periods of work at a computer (up to eight hours per day).
- Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Occasional weekend/evening work
- Potential domestic and international travel
Essential Personnel: Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.
Rice University Standard of Civility: Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
Security Sensitive: As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For “Other Document” requirement, please provide:Quick Link for Posting: http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/23024
- Social media campaign sample
- Social media, digital marketing or SEO metric report sample