Senior Director, Business Development
California School Boards Association
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Business Development
Primary domain: Education
City: West Sacramento
Postal code: 95691
Country: United States
The California School Boards Association is a nonprofit education association representing the governing boards who govern public school districts and county offices of education. With a membership of nearly 1,000 educational agencies statewide, CSBA brings together school governing boards from districts and county offices of education to advocate for effective policies that advance the education and wellbeing of the state’s more than 6 million school-age children. CSBA provides policy resources and training to members, and represents the statewide interests of public education through legal, political legislative, community and media advocacy.
CSBA employees are highly skilled, with a desire to excel and help strengthen school board governance and maximize student achievement. They are strategic in their trade, embrace challenges, and offer new and innovative ideas. CSBA creates a supportive, dynamic environment for its employees to grow and succeed. Our core values of integrity, collaboration, accountability, respect, excellence, service and innovation guide the way to achieving the Association’s goals.
Reporting to the Assistant Executive Director, Member Services, and serving as an integral member of the management team, the senior director will be responsible for improving the Association’s market position and achieving financial growth, identifying business opportunities, negotiating and closing business deals and maintaining extensive knowledge of current market conditions. This position also is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating, and overseeing the work of staff performing difficult and complex professional, technical, and administrative support related to all programs and activities of assigned department, division, program, or service, including assisting with long- and short-term program, project, and service planning; coordinating assigned activities with other Association division and departments and outside agencies; providing complex and responsible support to the Association leadership, senior management, and others in areas of expertise; and performing related work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Strategizes and conducts relationship-building to obtain new affiliates, sponsors and partners; locates or proposes potential business deals by contacting potential affiliates and partners, and discovering and exploring opportunities
- Identifies trendsetter ideas by researching education related events, publications, announcements, vendors and providers, tracking individual contributors and their accomplishments.
- Locates or proposes potential business deals by contracting potential partners; discovering and exploring opportunities.
- Screens potential business deals by analyzing market strategies, deal requirements, potential, and financials; evaluating options; resolving internal priorities; recommending equity investments.
- Supports the development and refinement of specific partnerships by structuring approaches and options for new opportunities and discussions, identifying risks and concerns, and capturing approaches to maximize revenue and benefits while minimizing risk
- Closes new business deals by coordinating requirements; developing and negotiating contracts; integrating contract requirements with business operations
- Protects the Association’s value by keeping information confidential
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Manages corporate relationships; facilitates escalating affiliate engagement through ongoing personal stewardship; ensures high level of sponsor engagement
- Contributes to the Association’s organization and strategic development goals and objectives and overall agenda and direction by developing and applying subject matter expertise in assigned areas; develops short-and long-range plans that support and impact the strategic direction of the Association; serves on Association leadership teams
- Provides senior leadership with an executive overview of all affiliate and partnership threads across the organization.
- Works collaboratively with senior leadership to frame and prioritize affiliate and partner opportunities and provide in-depth perspectives of those potential affiliate and partner candidates
- Works collaboratively with outside consultants working for the District and Financial Services Corporation
- Leads and manages the end-to-end business development process to drive successful discussions and ensure linkage to strategic/business goals and organizational priorities
- Leads new affiliate partnership discussions, alongside business teams, including development of propositions and presentations and negotiation of agreement terms in collaboration with legal and finance
- Assists in producing feasibility studies and business plans for new product or program development
- Collaborates with other CSBA departments to develop marketing campaigns for new products and services; this includes formulating a specific budget and expenditure plan for each
- Oversees the management and implementation of all new and existing joint marketing agreements, contracts, and addendums for the District and Financial Services Corporation
- Oversees the development of consultant requests for proposal for professional services; evaluates proposals and recommends contract award; administers contracts after award
- Collaborates with other CSBA departments to develop brochures and other print or electronic ads to market program
- Participates in the development, revision, and maintenance of policy and procedures governing assigned areas
- Plans, manages, and oversees the daily functions, operations, and activities of assigned department, division, program, or service. Oversees staff working in Business Affiliate and District and Finance Corporation’s
- Participates in the selection of, trains, motivates, and evaluates assigned personnel; works with employees on performance issues and makes recommendations
- Develops and reviews staff reports and other necessary correspondence related to assigned activities and services; presents reports to Board of Directors and various committees and boards.
- Travels throughout the state of California.
- Reads and demonstrates an understanding and adherence to CSBA values, policies, and practices.
- Demonstrates respect, honesty and professionalism at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position may be required to manage and direct other staff, with the responsibility of overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of those roles. This position will carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and all applicable laws. Overall responsibilities of this position include, but may not be limited to, interviewing, training, timekeeping and wage & hour management, planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, and addressing and resolving complaints.
- Principles and practices of the development of new markets and new business initiatives
- Business development model design, product development
- Non-traditional sales
- Principles and practices of affiliate development and donor management
- Strategic and creative affiliate and partner marketing programs and concepts and selling strategic affiliate and partner programs and ideas both internally and externally
- Principles and practices of contract administration
- Budgeting – forecasting, developing, and monitoring
- Public relations and public speaking
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility
- Practices of researching issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing and presenting effective staff reports
- General principles of risk management related to the functions of the assigned area
- Recent and on-going developments, current literature, and sources of information related to assigned duties
- Record keeping principles and procedures
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation
- Techniques for effectively representing the Association in contracts with governmental agencies, community groups, and various business, professional, educational, regulatory, and legislative organizations
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and Association staff
- Identify and gain access to target affiliates and partners; continuously grow successful closing hit rate
- Plan, oversee, coordinate, review, and evaluate business development operations and activities
- Evaluate and develop improvements in operations, procedures, policies, and methods.
- Research, analyze, and evaluate new service delivery methods, procedures, and techniques
- Establish and maintain a variety of business relationships
- Interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, and regulations
- Effectively administer special projects with contractual agreements and ensure compliance with stipulations; effectively administer a variety of programs and administrative activities
- Conduct complex research projects, evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations, and prepare effective technical staff reports
- Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record keeping, and tracking systems
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines
- Operate and maintain modern office equipment, including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural and legal guidelines
- Travel throughout the state of California
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of performing duties and responsibilities
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree or higher with major coursework in business administration, public administration, education, or related field and five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in business development, related product development, affiliate partnership structure, marketing and/or related field.
At CSBA, we proudly offer competitive compensation packages to our full-time exempt and non-exempt employees, including the following benefits:
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- CalPERS Retirement
- 457 Retirement Plan
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Floating holidays
- Employee Assistance Programs
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please use the following link to review the job description. To submit your resume and online application, please follow the link and select "APPLY FOR JOB" at the top left of the job description.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert