Policy Manual Consultant
California School Boards Association
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
City: West Sacramento
Postal code: 95691
Country: United States
The California School Boards Association is a nonprofit education association representing the governing boards who govern public school districts and county offices of education. With a membership of nearly 1,000 educational agencies statewide, CSBA brings together school governing boards from districts and county offices of education to advocate for effective policies that advance the education and wellbeing of the state’s more than 6 million school-age children. CSBA provides policy resources and training to members, and represents the statewide interests of public education through legal, political legislative, community and media advocacy.
CSBA employees are highly skilled, with a desire to excel and help strengthen school board governance and maximize student achievement.They are strategic in their trade, embrace challenges, and offer new and innovative ideas. CSBA creates a supportive, dynamic environment for its employees to grow and succeed. Our core values of integrity, collaboration, accountability, respect, excellence, service and innovation guide the way to achieving the Association’s goals.
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Executive Director, Policy and Governance Technology Services, incumbent provides policy development and consulting services to governing board members, elected officials, county administrators, school district administrators, and the general public regarding policies and requirements for educational administration; provides policy training for district personnel and board members; proofreads technical policies and manuals to assure accuracy; assists in drafting technical policies and manuals; prepares for and presents at conferences and other public engagements; increases awareness of, and markets policy services and other CSBA products and services; actively develops and maintains positive relationships; deals with a diverse group of external and internal contacts at all levels of an organization; independent and sound judgment is required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals; and performs a variety of other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs complex analytical functions in planning and developing local policies and procedures for school district governance and operations.
- Facilitates policy development workshops and develops and edits district policies and procedures
- Prepares and presents documents on sensitive policy issues to special interest groups, individuals, governing boards and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Analyzes and Interprets federal and state laws, rules, and regulations. Monitors, reviews, and analyzes state and federal legislation and regulations related to educational programs and trends and makes recommendations to school boards for updating and maintaining district policies and procedures.
- Responds to technical questions and clarifies policy information for CSBA staff, local, state, federal, and public school officials, through a variety of media (email, phone, mail, Web).
- Serves as CSBA spokesperson about policy and provides consultative services to public school board members and administrators.
- Provides technical assistance to school districts and county offices of education.
- Travels frequently throughout the state of California (currently no travel due to COVID-19).
- Coordinates with policy manual production support staff to customize, update and produce district policy manuals.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative working relationships with external stakeholders to support the development and implementation of policies and regulations.
- Reads and demonstrates an understanding and adherence to CSBA values, policies, and practices.
- Demonstrates respect, honesty and professionalism at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Organization and function of school boards, county offices of education, non-profit organizations and commissions.
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility.
- Principles, practices, concepts, and methods of education program research, development, evaluation, and implementation.
- Recent and on-going developments, current literature, and sources of information related to education.
- Knowledge of project and/or program management, analytical processes, and report preparation techniques.
- Techniques for effectively representing CSBA in contacts with governmental agencies, community groups, and various business, professional, educational, regulatory, and legislative organizations.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, clients/potential clients, vendors, contractors, and CSBA staff.
- Principles and practices of business letter writing, report formatting and preparation, data collection, information management, record keeping principles and procedures, and business mathematics and statistical techniques.
- Modern office management practices and methods, including use of standard office equipment, computer equipment and applications, including word processing, spreadsheet applications, report writing and business correspondence/writing.
- Policy writing and technical writing.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
- ·Effectively represent CSBA in contacts with governmental agencies, community groups, and various businesses, professional educational, regulatory, and legislative organizations.
- ·Prepare clear and effective presentations, reports, correspondence, and other written material.
- Work both independently or with brief instruction and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Perform responsible education program research, development, evaluation, and implementation involving use of independent judgment and personal initiative.
- Perform complex analysis and to interpret, summarize, and present information and data in an effective manner.
- Prepare clear and effective presentations, reports, correspondence, and other related material independently or from brief instructions.
- Interpret, apply, explain, and insure compliance with applicable Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Travel frequently throughout California.
- Perform responsible application of specialized program-related knowledge to support organizational unit with accuracy, speed, and limited supervision
- Interpret, apply, and explain administrative and departmental policies and procedures
- Provide customer service for program-related inquiries and related requests.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- Apply knowledge and demonstrate critical thinking skills, lead and coordinate various projects involving participation of other departments.
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner.
- Effectively manage time, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Promote the mission and values of the Association through portrayal, living, modeling, and exhibiting the Association’s commitment to integrity, collaboration, excellence, accountability, innovation, and respect; use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural and legal guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of performing duties and responsibilities.
Education & Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher with major coursework in education policy or on administration, public policy, research, or related social science fields, or any combination of equivalent training or experience. Five (5) to (7) years of progressive, responsible research or analyst experience, preferably in education, legislative, or other non-profit settings.
At CSBA, we proudly offer competitive compensation packages to our full-time exempt and non-exempt employees, including the following benefits:
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- CalPERS Retirement
- 457 Retirement Plan
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Floating holidays
- Employee Assistance Programs
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To view the full job description and submit your online application and resume, please follow the link below:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert