Administrative Lab Manager
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Research
Postal code: 02142
Country: United States
Whitehead Institute is a world-renowned non-profit research institution dedicated to improving human health through basic biomedical research. By cultivating a deeply collaborative culture and enabling the pursuit of bold, creative inquiry, Whitehead fosters paradigm-shifting scientific achievement. For more than 30 years, Whitehead faculty have delivered breakthroughs that have transformed our understanding of biology and accelerated development of therapies for such diseases as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, diabetes, and certain cancers.
- Provide administrative support to PI, including extensive calendar management, prioritizing and resolving related conflicts and competing demands, proactively scheduling important meetings with internal and external individuals and maintaining an organized office.
- Organize and coordinate international/domestic travel and related requirements to include: travel authorizations, flight/hotel bookings, visas, airport transfers, expense reports. Ensures all travel arrangements are in compliance with WIBR policies.
- Coordinate, plan, and organize small- to large-scale meetings, including collation of speaking notes and/or briefing notes, handling logistics, such as conference registrations, room reservations (internal and external), and local travel.
- Perform general clerical duties to include but not limited to; scanning, copying, faxing, filing, and data entry. Screen all callers and visitors. Read, distribute and respond to mail as appropriate.
- Organize the PI’s teaching schedule, help prepare his teaching materials such as class notes and exams, and upload such material to class websites.
- Act as information source on Institute and laboratory policies and procedures to a variety of persons from within and outside the labs.
- Administer all financial operations, physical plant, grants management, human resources, safety and purchasing processes for the labs, including development of appropriate policies and procedures.
- Provide lab orientation to new lab members. Train them on the policies of the lab and the operation of a variety of software packages. Work with Lab Manager to plan space assignments and with new lab members identify and apply for fellowships to cover their salary and expenses.
- Responsible for processing academic appointments, GM10s, and effort reporting.
- Maintain the lab webpage and the internal Wiki site that contains important lab documents as well as published papers.
- Ensure supply orders are placed place in a timely and efficient manner and that lab members obtain approval for costly items.
- Work with lab manager to ensure protocols are submitted on time.
- Serve as pre-award coordinator. Manage all aspect of the grant submission process including updating the lab members about new fellowships/grant opportunities.
- Prepare the administrative and financial components of all grants submitted by the PI and lab members. Components include multi-year budgets, regulatory and conflict of interest documents, personnel information, biographical sketches, and equipment and space descriptions. For awarded grants, will determine and fulfill all reporting requirements, track end dates and plan for timely renewals.
- Manage and review accounts including reconciling monthly statements and preparing projections on all sponsored (grants) accounts. May exercise unlimited signatory authority on all grants and accounts.
- Track all spending and project spending patterns; counsel supervisor and grants of problems, both actual and potential, and recommend possible courses of action.
- Process and proofread technical reports, grant proposals, manuscripts, and/or other material.
- Aid PI and lab members in preparation and assembly of all grant and fellowship applications, particularly the budget and regulatory components. Ensure applications are submitted on time and reviewed by the grants office.
- Coordinate the confidential review process of manuscripts for publication by ensuring that reporting obligations are met. Involves highly confidential interaction between reviewers and authors.
- Coordinate Annual Performance Review process with PI and Supervisors to ensure timely completion.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience and education.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Pro (Mac experience preferred).
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years of directly related experience required.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks with different priorities and deadlines, and, when needed, quickly adjust their work to address new challenges.
- Must be able to work independently and with only general direction.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and office skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Budget Management or Office Management experience and experience with Financial Accounting software.
- Grants Administration experience.
- Knowledge of OMB Circulars A-122 and A-110, NSF and NIH policy, or willingness to learn.
We offer excellent benefits including a choice of health insurance options; a generous retirement plan; comprehensive dental, disability and life insurance coverage; competitive salary, substantial vacation and holiday time; and programs for tuition reimbursement, dependent care assistance, pre-tax spending accounts, and subsidized public transportation or parking.
$75k - 90k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a resume to [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert