Community Violence Initiative (CVI) Director
Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
City: San Francisco
Postal code: 00000
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
Nearly 40,000 people died from gun violence in 2017, the highest level in 40 years. This uniquely American crisis leaves no community untouched—but it doesn’t have to be this way. From passing legislation strengthening our gun laws to investing in evidence-based programs, there are steps we can and should take to make our country safer.
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, our organization works to tackle America’s gun violence crisis. A safer America is possible—one where our children can grow up without fear of gun violence—and that is why we’re in this fight.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Nearly 40,000 people died from gun violence in the United States in 2017, the most in 40 years. This uniquely American crisis leaves no community untouched—but it doesn't have to be this way. From passing legislation strengthening our gun laws, to investing in community-centered violence prevention and intervention strategies, there are concrete steps that can and should be taken to make our country safer.
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Giffords works to tackle America's gun violence crisis. A safer America is possible—one where our children can grow up without fear of gun violence—and that is why they are in this fight. Giffords takes a multi-faceted approach:
- They work to foster a culture where Americans are informed about what makes them safer and are inspired to fight for a safer future.
- They research, write, and propose policies that make Americans safer and mobilize voters, advocates, and lawmakers in support of safer gun laws.
- They hold the gun lobby and any special interests who seek to profit at the expense of public safety accountable.
ABOUT THE POSITION
While the national conversation about gun violence often revolves around horrific incidents of mass shootings, one of the largest drivers of this crisis is daily shootings on our city streets that too often fail to make national headlines. This form of gun violence disproportionately impacts communities of "-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font: inherit;">In 2016, Giffords launched its Community Violence Initiative with the mission of identifying and lifting up the nation's most promising solutions to the crisis of daily gun violence. They've partnered with the country's leading practitioners and advocates to inform their work and, together, have advocated for local, state, and federal policymakers to invest more in community-based violence reduction strategies. Last year, a Giffords-led coalition in California successfully convinced state leaders to make the nation's largest-ever investment in these strategies. As the country continues to grapple with how to create public safety in a way that doesn't harm communities, the solutions Giffords has been championing are more relevant than ever.
Now, they are seeking a Community Violence Initiative (CVI) Director to take this work to the next level. The CVI Director will serve as a member of the Giffords Senior Management Team and as a key spokesperson and thought leader for Giffords' CVI work, and will oversee the development and expansion of this priority initiative in close collaboration with other teams and stakeholders.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Program development and execution
- Oversee the expansion of the CVI program and manage the CVI program budget, building a cohesive and unified vision for the organization's CVI efforts and communicating that vision regularly to the organization's internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversee development of organization's policy priorities related to CVI and manage ongoing series of written reports on the topic of community violence and the development of other written content regarding community violence including blog posts, OpEds, and factsheets.
- Expand the work of the CVI team to include areas of intersectionality, in particular with criminal justice reform, such as projects around police and sentencing reform and restorative justice, along with other new areas as identified in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
People management and cross-team collaboration
- Spearhead efforts to continue to develop and implement a robust community violence policy agenda and work closely with Government Affairs, outside partners and stakeholders and, as needed, Managing and Executive Directors, to finalize.
- Actively participate in advocacy strategies developed by Government Affairs and make decisions throughout the legislative process, working with the Government Affairs team, regarding legislative compromises and changes to policy.
- Lead a team of three and directly supervise the CVI Policy Director and CVI Manager. Serve as a member of the Giffords Senior Management Team and collaborate with colleagues on the Engagement, Government Affairs, Legal, Political, Development, and Policy and Research Teams to strategically advance various efforts and campaigns.
External affairs and strategic partnerships
- Build and maintain existing strategic partnerships with leading national, state and local community violence prevention practitioners to advance CVI work; lead Giffords' outreach efforts to educate an expanding group of stakeholders on the work.
- Serve as a leading spokesperson for Giffords Law Center in a variety of formats to represent the organization's CVI work to external stakeholders, including the media, funders, and policymakers.
- Help lead CVI team's efforts to support effective implementation of CVI programs, and connect cities and community-based organizations with technical assistance in jurisdictions with high levels of community violence, in close collaboration with partner practitioner organizations.
- Travel up to 25% of time and staff occasional evening events.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Commitment to ending America's gun violence epidemic through effective laws and policies
- Passion for addressing community-based gun violence through the elevation of our nation's most promising solutions
- At least five years' experience with policy development and analysis, coalition building, and/or legislative advocacy
- Post-graduate degree in law, public policy or related field a plus, but not required
- At least three years' experience in effectively managing a growing team and variety of outside consultants; able to motivate and inspire teams in the face of challenges
- Shares Giffords' commitment to racial equity, social justice, and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with allied organizations, public officials, and other external stakeholders
- Demonstrated skill and experience with strategic planning and direct experience executing strategic plans, with an emphasis on program growth and development
- Excellent public speaking skills, ability to translate complex concepts into effective, persuasive written materials and strong interpersonal communication skills
- Notably collaborative teammate, capable of managing relationships internally and externally
- Organized and able to reassess priorities; able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA; Washington, DC (SF strongly preferred)
During the coronavirus pandemic, all Giffords staff members are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe for us to resume working in an office, traveling, and holding in-person meetings.
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY: http://www.on-ramps.com/jobs/2010
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Like Giffords, On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with common purpose.
Posted By: On-Ramps
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert