Ed Trust West
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 94607
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
BRIDGING POLICY AND COMMUNITY: We seek to influence policy in California by engaging key education stakeholders, including policymakers, thought leaders, practitioners, community groups, civic organizations, parents, and students. Our goal is to drive a state and national conversation about how our education system can better serve students of color and low-income students, pre-k through college.
DATA FOR THE PEOPLE: We identify and analyze data related to the inequities in California schools and colleges that disproportionately impact underserved students of color and low-income students. We use a racial equity lens to expose underlying causes of these inequities and identify equity-focused strategies advancing educational justice. We equip education advocates with actionable and accessible data in order to hold school and college systems and state leaders accountable for better educational opportunities and outcomes. Learn more about our Data Equity Walks.
EQUITY IN ACTION: We work directly with schools, districts, and higher education institutions to understand and evaluate the effectiveness of strategies intended to increase access and supports for students of color and low-income students. We seek real world examples supported by evidence at the campus, system, district, school, and classroom levels, and we explore ways in which success can be replicated at scale.
The Education Trust–West seeks a Communications Associate to advance the organization’s ambitious agenda to expose and eradicate injustices and inequities in California schools, colleges, and systems of education. Reporting directly to a senior member of the Communications team, this position will work alongside the research, policy, educator engagement, government relations, and external relations teams to develop and manage communications planning and implementation to further advance the organization’s advocacy goals.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Education Trust–West works for educational justice and the high academic achievement of all students at all levels, pre-K through college. We expose educational injustices and inequities that separate students of color, English learners, and low-income students from their peers, and we identify and advocate for the strategies that will forever close equity gaps. We work alongside schools, districts, college campuses, and higher education institutions to understand and evaluate the effectiveness of strategies intended to reduce and eliminate racial equity gaps. We use lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, to drive a state and national conversation about how our P-12 education system and colleges and universities can better serve underserved students of color, English learners, and low-income students. To learn more, please visit www.edtrustwest.org.
The responsibilities of the Communications Associate include but are not limited to the following:
Digital Communications Support
- Support the implementation of social media activities across multiple channels and platforms.
- Facilitate social media requests from staff which includes writing social media content and implementing social media promotion.
- Implement social media scheduling and respond to quick turnaround social media requests.
- Coordinate an email outreach program, including designing email with content and visuals.
- Support maintenance and buildout of Every Action email program including updating lists after every ETW event, helping refine and target list, and building out ETW email program.
- Act as point person for all website updates and maintenance.
- Provide design support for social media graphics and event invites.
Earned Media Support
- Scope and track news and ETW media placements.
- Assist with media research and building out Cision media lists to help ETW be more proactive and responsive to media landscape and reporter requests.
- Assist in developing media backgrounders and other communications related tasks as needed.
General Communications Support
- Maintain the organization’s tracking tools including the Communications Calendar, scheduling internal meetings, and other quick turnaround requests.
- Assist with all ETW major milestone releases, campaigns and events including the 20th Anniversary campaign.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Candidates should enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment in which expectations are high for both the quality and speed of work. We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience in advocacy communications, digital communications, or related field.
- Proven results using digital communications to advance a cause.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or a related field.
- Strong project management skills with a demonstrated ability to be flexible and juggle multiple priorities, projects, campaigns, and tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- A strong commitment to racial justice and equity work.
- Self-reflective, open to honest conversations about race, identity, and privilege and how these forces impact our internal and external work.
- Exceptional follow-through and attention to detail.
- Proven experience drafting digital content.
- Strong computer skills and experience with Social Media management platform such as Sprout Social, CRM such as Every Action, and website development.
- Fluency in writing and speaking in Spanish is a plus.
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color coupled with a strong knowledge of social justice and equity-related issues
- Commitment to “Walking the Talk,” which means operating with – and a willingness to develop – cultural competence, an understanding that systemic and institutionalized racism significantly affect communities of color and the historical impact of privilege and power on American systems, and sensitivity, humility, and a willingness to self-reflect
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently
- The intellectual strength and curiosity to understand and appreciate the varied and complex pursuits of the program and policy staff, and the ability to translate that understanding to the layperson
- Creative problem solver who seeks out new ways of doing things
- Results-oriented, achievement-driven approach to projects and tasks, with a clear understanding and focus on goals and a demonstrated commitment to excellence
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
The priority deadline for this role is October 27. Please provide a cover letter and resume, combined into one document. Your cover letter should describe your background, and relevant experience. In the file name, please write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “Comms Associate_Wu”
Please submit your application materials using the link below:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert