SVP for Commercial Lending
Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Business Development
Primary domain: Other
City: New York
Postal code: 10027
State: New York
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
The mission of the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone Development Corporation (UMEZ) is to sustain the economic revitalization of all communities in Upper Manhattan through job creation, corporate alliances, strategic investments and small business investments. UMEZ facilitates economic development in the neighborhoods of Central, East and West Harlem, Washington Heights; and Inwood. UMEZ is an independent not-for-profit corporation created in 1995 and has invested $250 million in the Upper Manhattan community, leveraging over $1.1 billion in private capital, and has funded 100 small businesses. UMEZ is a recognized Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with over $80 million in assets. UMEZ is proud to be certified by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s CDFI Fund as a part of a national network promoting economic growth by financing businesses, creating jobs, and rebuilding neighborhoods.
Summary: Under the direction of the President and CEO, the Senior Vice
President for Commercial Lending will manage and provide direction for all
lending programs and lending staff. He or she must have a strong background in lending
and will be responsible for identifying and expanding lending opportunities in
UMEZ’s service area.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following and other
duties may be assigned:
- ·Manage loan sourcing and origination as well
as oversee elements of loans closing processes; Supervise and provide
oversight to ensure that loan staff gathers and verifies client application
information, including site visits when necessary.
- Manage the growth and quality of loan
portfolio and assist in the development of strategic partnerships with
community-based organizations, banks and other referral partners.
- Determine the derivation and adequacy of the
proposed loan repayment source, taking into account project financials and sponsor’s
overall asset and liquidity position.
- Manage execution of new and existing lending
programs, including pipeline development and marketing.
- Oversee monitoring and tracking of loan
programs, key operational and social impact metrics for various stakeholders.
- Oversee, train and assist junior staff with
investment proposals, financial statement analysis, financial modeling and
due diligence. Provide regular staff
performance assessments and training where needed.
- Make presentations to the Loan Committee and
participate in the preparation of program loan documents
is a full-time position.
Due to the current COVID-19 Pandemic, some work may be organized remotely on
a temporary basis. This is not a
The salary for this position is
commensurate with experience.
The benefit package includes
medical, dental and vision insurance as well as a 401K plan.
- 5-7 years managerial experience is required
- Demonstrated experience in community economic development lending, management and/or financing.
- Ability to understand and analyze various financial models.
- Formal credit training with supervisory experience is required.
- 3-5 years commercial real estate senior/subordinate construction lending experience is preferable. (Residential mortgage origination is not a substitute for this experience.)
- NYC Affordable housing program knowledge is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Community residence and/or familiarity with the Upper Manhattan community preferred.
- Fluency in MS Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and SharePoint
- ·An energetic and resourceful person with a strong interest in community engagement
- A self starter; a team player; a strategic thinker; a creative problem solver.
Bi-Lingual, English and Spanish, a plus but not necessary
Undergraduate degree in business or a related field; MBA preferred
Supervises the lending team
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should e-mail or mail a resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Manager
55 West 125th Street, 11th Floor
New York, New York 10027
Attn: Senior Vice President for Commercial Lending
No Phone Calls or Faxes Please
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert