Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Research
Postal code: 20036
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
PCORI helps people make informed healthcare decisions, and improves healthcare delivery and outcomes, by producing and promoting high-integrity, evidence-based information that comes from research guided by patients, caregivers, and the broader healthcare community.
Executive SpeechwriterTracking Code915-858Job Description
Reports to: Director, Communications
*To be considered for this role, please submit a cover letter and writing sample with your application
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) is authorized by Congress to conduct research to provide information about the best available evidence to help patients and their health care providers make more informed decisions. PCORI’s research is intended to give patients a better understanding of the prevention, treatment and care options available, and the science that supports those options.
The Executive Speechwriter serves as a senior member of PCORI’s communications team and is primarily responsible for writing major addresses, brief remarks, talking points, and presentations for the Executive Director showcasing our vision and mission, and guiding messages to a variety of external and internal audiences. The speechwriter will also be asked to write and prepare companion presentations for other executive officers and members of the Board of Governors when necessary. The speechwriter will prepare original, professional, effective, relevant, and compelling high-profile communications for PCORI leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as primary writer of public speeches, remarks, talking points, and other public or internal comments by PCORI’s Executive Director, senior leadership, and members of the Board of Governors as needed.
- Develops PowerPoint slides to accompany executive speeches and works with PCORI’s designers on necessary creative for presentation slides.
- Proven ability to develop fresh thinking and creative ideas for speeches and other contents. Strong storytelling skills that can make PCORI’s work relevant to different audiences.
- Performs independent research to support and strengthen presentations and articles. Maintains records of research and back-up materials that verify statements.
- Rapidly builds familiarity with PCORI research portfolio and regularly monitors peer-reviewed journal publications to inform content development.
- Develops the ability to write and prepare materials in the voice and style of the speaker.
- Ensures that the relevant strategy, message development, branding, and other core goals are accomplished in each piece.
- Working with the schedulers, communications, various PCORI teams, and other senior staff, maintains awareness of leader’s schedules and the expected length and topics for upcoming events
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
*PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
The candidate would bring following knowledge, skills, and abilities to the Executive Speechwriter position:
- Ability to translate complex research on clinical and medical topics into accurate but approachable language and tailor the information to audiences that include health professionals, patients, policy makers, or the general public.
- Strong research abilities and comfort navigating peer-reviewed health and scientific journals for source material.
- Comfort working with patients, patient advocates, clinicians, researchers, scientists, public health and public policy experts.
- Outstanding writing skills. Excellent verbal and analytical skills.
- Thorough knowledge of correct use of grammar, construction, and spelling.
- Proven ability to write for diverse audiences and translate complex health science material into speeches that effectively communicate PCORI’s core values, goals, mission, and work.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with executive leadership, with proven trustworthiness for handling sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to meet high standards for accuracy, quality, responsiveness, integrity, and discretion.
- Strong interpersonal communications and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly produce high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Detail-oriented with strong project and time management skills, including ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to take direction and editing from others.
- Motivated self-starter with a can-do attitude.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
A minimum of a master’s degree in a health-related field, public health, medicine, and focus on communications or journalism, or a combination of education and requisite experience and at least seven years of related work experience and executive speechwriting experience for a principal with a public profile required.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply please click the link below and submit a resume and cover letter via PCORI's Career Page:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert