Internal Communications Manager
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Research
Postal code: 20036
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
PCORI helps people make informed healthcare decisions, and improves healthcare delivery and outcomes, by producing and promoting high-integrity, evidence-based information that comes from research guided by patients, caregivers, and the broader healthcare community.
Internal Communications Manager
Reports to: Associate Director, Media Relations, Communications
*To be considered for this role, please submit a cover letter and writing sample with your application
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) is authorized by Congress to conduct research to provide information about the best available evidence to help patients and their health care providers make more informed decisions. PCORI’s research is intended to give patients a better understanding of the prevention, treatment and care options available, and the science that supports those options.
The Internal Communications function at PCORI will work with organizational leaders to inform and engage employees, shape culture, and create a shared understanding of and connect employees with PCORI’s vision and priorities to motivate staff and deliver on their work.
- Establish and implement an internal communications strategy.
- Build communications pathways to manage all organizational internal communications among employees, departments, and leadership.
- Improve staff ratings of internal communications in the Employee Effectiveness Survey.
- Enhance the quality of communications to employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with leadership and the Communications Director, develop a multi-channel internal communications strategy and phased implementation plan that informs and engages employees in the context of organizational transformation, strategic shifts, and developments in the external environment.
- Collaborate and partner with the Office of the Executive Director, Office of the Chief Operating Officer, and Communications to keep employees informed of company strategy, key organizational updates, and announcements, as well as collaboratively strengthen processes and approaches for communicating key information across the organization.
- Lead the development, coordination, and implementation of internal communications content, channels, and tools to support employee communications campaigns, including departmental newsletters, regular messages from the Executive Director, All Staff meetings, presentations, Intranet, and communications toolkits and guidance for managers.
- Work with departments across the organization to advance an understanding of their work and priorities and with PCORI employee groups on their internal communications.
- Actively engage communications channels to reach a broad spectrum of staff representing a range of cultures, backgrounds, and experiences and who are working both in PCORI offices and from remote locations; also, create opportunities for employee engagement, feedback, and open communication across all levels of the institution.
- Ensure alignment between external and internal messaging and coordinate with members of Communications to support organizational communications objectives.
- Develop performance metrics, tracking and reporting mechanisms.
- Quickly develop a deep understanding of the organization and provide communications support for organization initiatives.
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
*PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in the workplace.
This is PCORI’s first time developing an Internal Communications function and strategy. This position will be responsible for creating and sustaining a bespoke internal communications program, and working successfully with new leadership to deliver on their vision, all whilst in the midst of an organizational restructuring and coronavirus pandemic which requires most PCORI staff work from home.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Demonstrated experience in creating strategies and plans that successfully engage employees with a diverse range of technical expertise and backgrounds and enhance cohesiveness, collaboration, and mission support across a workforce.
- Experience in working with senior executives to translate institutional objectives and imperatives into communications that will resonate with staff across the institution.
- Ability to effectively gain buy-in from staff on adopting new tools for and approaches to communications.
- Exceptional written, verbal communications, and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge or background in health, health care, and or health research preferred.
- Extensive experience optimizing use of internal communication platforms, including, SharePoint, and Microsoft Teams as well as others.
- Experience using data and analytic tools to measure and regularly report on the effectiveness of employee communications programs.
- Demonstrated project management skills, and ability to plan and execute programs and nimbleness and flexibility to adjust, shift, and respond in a dynamic environment.
A minimum of a bachelor’s degree or a combination of education and requisite experience and at least seven years of related internal communications work experience required. Knowledge or background in health, health care, and or health research preferred.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply, please visit the link below and submit your application and cover letter via PCORI's Career Page:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert