Marketing & Communication Director
Center for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Mutual/Membership Benefit
City: San Rafael
Postal code: 94903
Country: United States
We advance nonprofits and volunteerism by strengthening leadership, encouraging innovation and empowering individuals in our community.
Center for Volunteer & Nonprofit Leadership (CVNL) is seeking a Marketing & Communications Director. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and serving as an integral member of the management team, the Director, in partnership with the Marketing & Communication Specialist, is responsible for the development and implementation of CVNL’s marketing and communication strategies.
Serving the Bay Area for over 50 years, CVNL knows that passion alone is not enough when it comes to creating strong nonprofits. With a mission to advance nonprofits and volunteerism by strengthening leadership, encouraging innovation, and empowering individuals in our community, CVNL works with aspiring and established leaders every day to help them build the skills and connections that can take their impact to the next level. Learn more: www.cvnl.org.
The Director, in partnership with the Marketing & Communications Specialist, develops and designs comprehensive marketing and communications plans for CVNL, overseeing activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's brand reputation. The Director is responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will continually build relationships with the media. By advancing the organization's position with relevant constituents, the Director drives broader awareness and donor support for the organization. The Director will be responsible for CVNL’s varied marketing and communications tactics to include printed marketing collateral; website design; email marketing; digital and print advertising; media and public relations; and social media marketing.
Working closely with the CEO and Marketing Specialist, manage and execute all aspects of design, public relations, marketing, communications, social media, and online and print publications.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Working with the Leadership Team, develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance CVNL’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow CVNL’s leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, to define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Manage brand communications images, messaging, and publications according to established guidelines
- Oversee development of all CVNL print communications including collateral materials and electronic communications, CVNL’s website(s) and new media; manage relationships with associated vendors
- Creation of custom artwork for event, program, and service-specific marketing
- Serve as a spokesperson when appropriate with the media
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding CVNL’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Manage the day-to-day activities including budgeting, planning. and staff development
- Assist with or produce brand media presentations at CVNL events and leadership programs
- Oversee multimedia assets, creative partners and contributors, including photography and videography
- Manage Google Grant and Ad campaigns
- Maintain in-office communications lobby monitor display/presentations
- Produce and maintain online events calendar, oversee website design, and monitor community posts
- Oversee internal online communications calendar
- Provide support and oversight to CVNL staff in the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Support Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) systems that further engage all CVNL relationships, both internally and externally
- Guide email audience segmentation development and integration with CRM
- Support all events and program areas with presentations, marketing collateral, and marketing campaigns
- Work with the leadership team to create and publish resources, print and online, to advance CVNL’s image as a go-to resource for nonprofit leaders
Administrative and General
- Provide leadership and guidance to directors and managers on brand marketing and communications
- Participate with staff and board in the strategic planning and organization of events
- Administer marketing communications reporting, including monthly metrics tracking
- Maintain marketing communications records
- Develop and oversee policies and procedures
CVNL is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of qualifications. CVNL policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in any employment decision based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
Submission of your application is not an offer of employment or an employment contract.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, journalism, communications, or related field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a management role either in-house or with an agency
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media
- Successful graphic design experience
- Extensive copywriting and copyediting experience
- Experience and proven results running digital marketing campaigns and tracking and interpreting analytics to inform marketing decisions
- Experience with Google products preferred
- Understanding of audience segmentation and key platforms used to communicate externally
- Demonstrated experience managing a strategic marketing and communications campaigns
- Experience in planning, writing, editing, graphic design and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, CVNL’s Board of Directors and staff
- Strong skills using communications software including: Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word), Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), and WordPress
- Knowledge and understanding of social media marketing
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented, and data-driven
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive
- Passion for CVNL’s mission
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To be considered as an applicant:
Submit a cover letter and resume at https://cvnl.org/jobs/
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert