Established in 1990, the Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) is the only legal services organization dedicated to providing direct civil legal services to individuals and families experiencing homelessness in Philadelphia. HAP also advocates for the needs of the City’s homeless population.
HAP’s work is guided by its vision, mission, and values.
VISION: All Philadelphians at risk of or experiencing homelessness have equal access to justice and the means to secure safe and stable housing.
MISSION: To provide free civil legal services and advocacy to reduce the frequency and duration of homelessness in the greater Philadelphia area.
HAP’S VALUES: Individuals and families experiencing homelessness have unique legal problems and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
More information about HAP is available at haplegal.org.
HAP is seeking an experienced, visionary leader to serve as its next Executive Director. Building on a strong foundation, the next leader will be responsible for leading HAP’s strategic direction, ensuring its long-term financial sustainability and operational efficiency, and overseeing the organization’s programs and staff.
The ideal candidate brings a deep passion for HAP’s mission and a successful record of organizational leadership and experience developing strong relationships with various audiences, including funders, partners, policymakers, and individuals with lived experiences. The ideal candidate is also a dedicated team builder, committed to fostering a positive and supportive culture that reflects HAP’s commitment to diversity, racial equity, and inclusion.
Vision and Strategic Leadership:
● Lead implementation of HAP’s strategic plan; collaborate with staff, the Board, and key stakeholders to develop innovative strategies to fulfill the organization’s mission
● Maintain active engagement and knowledge of current issues and trends to inform cutting edge programs and strategies to advance HAP’s mission
● Ensure and enhance HAP’s reputation as a leading voice and authority on legal and policy issues involving homelessness in Philadelphia
Team Leadership and Culture:
● Actively champion diversity, equity, and inclusion, and promote a climate that attracts, retains, and motivates a talented, dedicated, and diverse staff
● Promote a respectful workplace that encourages teamwork
● Lead, mentor, and develop a high-performing team and foster positive organizational culture
● Oversee and work with Board and staff to implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy with diverse sources of revenue (including foundation, individual, law firm and corporate) and event fundraising (including an annual benefit)
● Cultivate and maintain relations with current and prospective funders and encourage active board engagement in donor cultivation
● Develop and oversee major strategic initiatives including advocacy, policy proposals, and litigation
● Participate in legal clinics on a regular basis and handle limited client matters in order to maintain a working knowledge of HAP’s day-to-day operations and the challenges faced by HAP’s clients
● Support and expand HAP’s network of pro bono lawyers to amplify program capacity
● Build, lead, and work as part of coalitions local, state, and national organizations, ensuring that HAP’s programs reflect the goals and needs of people with lived experience
Board Engagement and Partnerships:
● Actively recruit, engage, support, and maintain effective communications with a strong and diverse Board of Directors; lead the Board in developing its own capacity to support the organization’s strategic priorities and financial sustainability
● Maintain and develop relationships with key stakeholders and partners, including policymakers, key allied organizations, media, law firms and corporate legal departments, and volunteers
● Serve as lead spokesperson for the organization’s mission and goals, including with the media, partner organizations, and policymakers
● Oversee the organization’s communications strategy to advance and support program goals, ensuring that key messages are communicated effectively
Financial Management & Administration:
● Oversee the successful execution of HAP’s day-to-day operations, including effective strategic financial decision-making, budgeting, and management, reporting, and compliance
● Negotiate and execute contracts, including agreements and other instruments made and entered into by and on behalf of the organization