Community Lending Officer
Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Business Development
Primary domain: Community/Capacity Building
City: New York
Postal code: 10027
State: New York
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
The mission of the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone Development Corporation (UMEZ) is to sustain the economic revitalization of all communities in Upper Manhattan through job creation, corporate alliances, strategic investments and small business investments. UMEZ facilitates economic development in the neighborhoods of Central, East and West Harlem, Washington Heights; and Inwood.
UMEZ is an independent not-for-profit corporation created in 1995 and has invested $250 million in the Upper Manhattan community, leveraging over 1.1 billion in private capital, and has funded 100 small businesses.
In 2017, UMEZ became a recognized Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with over $80 million in assets. UMEZ is proud to be certified by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s CDFI Fund as a part of a national network promoting economic growth by financing businesses, creating jobs, and rebuilding neighborhoods.
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President for Commercial Lending, this role is responsible for sourcing new clients, as well as, interfacing with existing clients. The CLO will offer counseling to small business owners and entrepreneurs who seek funding for small business projects. This role will conduct outreach in an effort to develop new lending opportunities within the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone. The Community Lending Officer will work with the Business Investments Group to develop new relationships and serve as the liaison to community-based organizations, community banks, and local chambers and commerce.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following and other duties may be assigned:
- Under the guidance of the Senior Vice President for Commercial Lending provide one-on-one counseling, referral opportunities, and customer support to small businesses in order to assist their efforts to secure funding
- Work directly with the Senior Underwriter in a collaborative process to evaluate credit worthy potential clients.
- Assist local entrepreneurs and strategizing with them to overcome business development issues; advises clients on the loan application process and basic criteria used to determine credit worthiness
- Gather client application information and visit client’s and loan applicants’ business location to verify information, check on progress and offer technical assistance, referrals, and follow-up when necessary
- Recommend appropriate loan terms and repayment schedules by conducting risk manage assessments.
- Assist the Business Investment team and legal counsel with loan closings by providing recommendations and, preparing a financial written analysis. Present both oral and written overviews to the Loan committee.
- May be asked to attend non-work hours events or meetings as it relates to engaging and representing UMEZ’s mission to cultivate community partnerships and promote lending activities
- Undergraduate degree in business or a related field
- Strong Experience in lending and credit training
- Advanced writing and oral presentation skills
- 1-2 years in lending experience with small businesses.
- Excellent business development, outreach, detail oriented, and have strong follow-up skills
- Must be able to engage in a tactful manner with potential borrowers, existing borrowers, and community partners
- Prior related experience in the non-profit and/or public sector preferred
- Strong financial skills, business accounting, interpersonal, and communications skills
- Community residence and/or familiarity with Upper Manhattan community preferred
- Bi-Lingual, English and Spanish, a plus but not necessary
The benefit package includes medical, dental and vision insurance as well as a 401K plan
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should e-mail or mail a resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Manager
55 West 125th Street, 11th Floor
New York, New York 10027
Attn: Community Lending Officer
No Phone Calls or Faxes Please
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert