Director of Development
ARF (Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons)
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Animal Related
City: East Hampton
Postal code: 11937
State: New York
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
The Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons (ARF) was established as a ‘no-kill’ shelter in 1974 by people concerned about the health and welfare of stray and abandoned animals on the East End of Long Island. Guided by the core values of compassion, integrity and dedication, ARF grew from a small-town shelter to a regional force and continues to rescue cats and dogs, providing quality care and offering sanctuary until loving, permanent homes can be found. ARF also provides mobile adoptions, spay/ neuter services for unowned, community cats, behavior training for pets, and humane education for school children for our community.
ARF’s revenue is approximately $4 million annually – of this, two-thirds comes from contributions and 5% from a significant investment fund. ARF raises additional funds through a number of signature events throughout the year, including their Bow Wow Meow Ball and Stroll to the Sea Dog Walk. A Thrift and Treasure Shop is also an integral part of fundraising efforts. Recognizing that ARF needs to build capacity, both financially and structurally, it is embarking on Forever Home, a comprehensive campaign to launch ARF into a new era of growth and sustainability. This five-year, $30 million effort will raise philanthropic funds to make critical facility improvements, expand programs and operations, and strengthen reserve/endowment funds.
Roles and Responsibilities:
ARF is seeking a Director of Development to facilitate the success of Forever Home and implement the vision of ARF’s Executive Director/CEO (ED/CEO) and Board. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic professional with excellent relationship skills to act as a peer and thought-partner to the ED/CEO. Based out of ARF’s office in the Hamptons, the DOD will work with the ED/CEO to lead individual and major gift efforts, naming opportunities, foundations, corporations, gift planning, digital fundraising and event support.
The DOD connects ARF’s community of adopters, donors, volunteers, and staff to its mission in meaningful ways throughout the year. The DOD will also help to build out ARF’s development operations infrastructure to support demands for the organization’s growing philanthropy program and support the ED/CEO with his fundraising activities.
• With the ED/CEO, lead, develop and implement fundraising strategies to increase the breadth and depth of individual, foundation and corporate support
• Manage, revise, and evaluate strategies for successful events, annual giving, and planned giving
• Assist the ED/CEO and Board members with cultivation of major gifts
• Use ARF’s new Case for Support to craft briefing books, individualized proposals with specific gift amounts, and other fundraising collateral
• Maintain and deepen donor relationships through regular communication, stewardship, and solicitation
• Grow and broaden major, private support as well as a pipeline of small and mid-level donors
• Oversee implementation of all annual fundraising events
• Enhance and manage digital visibility, social media and community awareness to significantly augment fundraising for maximum return and efficiency
• With the ED/CEO, lead the development team to improve ARF’s fundraising infrastructure - data management, gift processing, office procedures and event management - to ensure the staff, systems, processes and activities meet ongoing development needs
• Manage and supervise a small staff including a Development Associate; work with consultants, contractors, and board members in a collaborative and effective manner
• Bachelor’s degree; minimum of five years fundraising experience or a related field (finance, business development, sales, higher education, public health, social work)
• Ability to live and work in the Hamptons at least 3 days per week; willing to attend events and meetings during evening. Hours and on the weekends
• Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to form strategic relationships both internally and externally, including with a highly committed and active Board
• Demonstrated success planning and implementing virtual events is a plus
• Entrepreneurial, dedicated, and a self-starter
• Creative and well-developed writing skills; articulate and persuasive verbal communicator with a high level of comfort speaking in public
• Ability to work collaboratively with staff, fostering collegiality and a positive work culture
• Demonstrated success in working with a committed volunteer pool, as well as facilitating collaboration and cooperation among diverse groups
• Flexible with ability to multitask as well as anticipate and solve problems as they arise
• Superior organizational skills with proven ability to focus, prioritize and implement
• Proficiency in Office suite, Salesforce, and digital media platforms
• Commitment to the mission of the Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons, Inc.
• Must love dogs and cats!
For more information, visit: https://www.arfhamptons.org
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
ARF has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search
Please put “ARF” in the subject line of your emailed application
Posted By: Harris Rand Lusk
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert