Development Operations Manager
Student Leadership Network
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
City: New York
Postal code: 10001
State: New York
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
Student Leadership Network (SL Network) supports three life-changing programs that empower students to disrupt the cycle of poverty through education: The Young Women’s Leadership Schools (TYWLS), a network of high-performing all-girls public secondary schools; CollegeBound Initiative (CBI), a school-based college access program for young women and men; and the Young Women’s Leadership Network (YWLN), a nationwide network of single-sex affiliate and partner schools. SL Network programs promote a college-going culture in schools and make the dream of college a reality for students from underserved communities.
The Development Operations Manager will report to the Managing Director of Development and work in collaboration with the Development team, the Marketing and Communications team, the Data team, and the Finance team. The successful candidate is a strong project manager who will help the department to operationalize systems and processes to help frontline fundraisers to meet their goals. They must be highly organized, have strong analytical skills, superb written and oral communication skills, outstanding attention to detail, ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, follow-up, and achieve results. A passion for expanding educational opportunities for students is essential.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- With support from the Managing Director of Development, maintain and improve administrative systems, database management, policies and procedures, and infrastructure to manage the day-to-day operations and financial functions of the department, with a focus on:
- Gift Processing and Acknowledgments
- Manage all gift-entry (individual, event, corporate, foundation, and campaign gifts) and acknowledgement processes, making recommendations for automation and data collection improvements where appropriate.
- Ensure SL Network donors can make gifts easily and be acknowledged quickly. Oversee all systems and collaboration with Finance team to ensure that development records are accurate and complete.
- Process, track and acknowledge matching gifts.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of gifts for reporting and auditing purposes (including monthly financial reconciling) in consultation with the Managing Director of Finance and Administration.
Database Management/Salesforce Administration
- Manage the use of Salesforce and serve as the super user to capture, report, and analyze data, working across teams to ensure needs are met.
- Work to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Salesforce for the Development team.
- Update Supporters’ List (email contact lists) on a monthly basis; collaborate with Development team members and the Marketing and Communications team to ensure they have updated information and language.
- Create a dashboard and reporting mechanism for institutional grant application renewals, reporting, and programming covered to be shared with the program and Finance teams.
- Monitor and maintain the integrity of the department’s data in Salesforce and reconcile its communication and donation data transfer across other platforms used by the Development and Finance teams.
- Generate mailing and email lists by managing contact lists in Salesforce.
- Process all incoming gifts and pledges into Salesforce, ensuring proper gift coding and accurate and up-to-date donor information.
- Manage the build out and execution of digital fundraising campaigns through Salesforce and Mobile Cause.
Team Coordination & General Support
- Serve as the Development team’s “Jack-of-all-trades” as well as the team’s resource for data, reports and systems.
- Provide timely, regular and accurate reports for Development and Leadership team meetings, Board meetings, forecasting, and measuring progress against annual fundraising goals.
- Provide data analysis and reporting to inform development strategy, understand donor behavior and track success of the development team.
- Create and maintain tools to track and report progress towards individual and team development goals.
- Work with the department to define project scope and timelines, set team direction, and track project progress for fundraising-related communications and initiatives.
- Manage the department-wide calendar, which will capture department meetings, internal meetings, major external meetings, the team’s days out of the office, and deadlines.
- Plan the department meetings, including their scheduling, capturing and sharing notes with team members.
- In collaboration with the Managing Director of Development, coordinate bi-annual departmental retreat.
- Support the Managing Director of Development in managing the Board of Directors.
- Collaborate with the Director of Individual Giving to create and implement appeals.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Proficient use of MS Office Suite – MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Sharp analytical skills; can figure out the inputs that lead to desired outputs, figure out what’s missing, what’s superfluous, and how to do it better.
- Obsessive detail-orientation with excellent organizational, time management and follow-up skills.
- 2+ years’ experience in a role that required nearly-daily Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database use a must; Salesforce preferred.
- Exercise a high level of discretion and professional judgment.
- Customer service orientation toward high level people (VIPs)
- Deadline-driven, superb multi-tasker and able to prioritize.
- Able to be ambitious and a true self-starter.
- (Internal) Great rapport across all SL Network departments, ability to build relationships and become the go-to person for the department.
- Able to reflect on successes and failures and adjust strategy going forward.
- Evidence of improving a system.
- Curiosity, drive and savviness to leverage technology to build capacity, problem solve and maximize efficiency with ability to provide technical training to others. Aptitude and motivation to become a database wizard.
- Superb multi-tasker who can manage multiple priorities and projects from concept to implementation while anticipating future deadlines.
- Proven ability to improve existing systems.
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight, and to thrive under pressure.
- Brings a customer service orientation to working with internal and external stakeholders, peers, and funders alike.
- Resourceful, results oriented team-player with a positive “can do” attitude and a sense of humor.
- Interest in learning about the Development profession; flexible and adaptable, open to change, feedback, and improvement.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Application instructions: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/391261/Student-Leadership-Network-Inc/Manager-Development-Operations
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert