Public Affairs Manager
Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
Postal code: 20036
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
ITEP is a non-profit, non-partisan tax policy organization. We conduct rigorous analyses of tax and economic proposals and provide data-driven recommendations on how to shape equitable and sustainable tax systems. ITEP’s expertise and data uniquely enhance federal, state, and local policy debates by revealing how taxes affect both public revenues and people of various levels of income and wealth.
Position Summary: Reporting to the communications director and working within a team of three, the public affairs manager will: Manage outreach to state and national partners and assist in identifying and forging new organizational partnerships; participate in coalition meetings; manage electronic communications, including writing and disseminating regular communications and developing strategies to broaden the organizations’ reach; manage CTJ’s social media accounts and website content and be the primary communications contact for CTJ’s campaign-driven work.
· Outreach to partners: Maintain existing and establish new relationships with partner organizations (including one-on-one contact and participating in coalition meetings) to ensure tax policy remains part of the progressive community’s push for transformational policy change. Engage with state and national partners before the release of major ITEP reports to boost interest. Work with the communications director and communications manager, to create materials that partners can easily use or adapt to elevate ITEP and other tax policy-related research and resources. Stay apprised of other organizations’ research as it relates to tax policy and advise on how ITEP can integrate external research into its broader framing and messaging on tax policy.
·Electronic communications: Help manage ITEP’s regular electronic communications, including weekly, monthly, and breaking-news newsletters. This includes writing content for electronic communications, developing strategies for more effectively communicating via e-blasts, and recommending/implementing best practices to exceed industry standards for open rates and list growth.
·Campaign coordinator: ITEP and CTJ are committed to the broader progressive movement for fundamental change to local, state, and national policies—a movement that is demanding policymakers address racial inequities and income inequality. Tax policy must be part of the conversation. Working with the communications director and federal and state policy teams, the public affairs manager will assist in developing short- and long-term strategies for advancing federal legislation and promoting progressive tax policy recommendations at the state level.
·Social media: Manage the Citizens for Tax Justice social media accounts.
·Website: Post and update content to the ITEP and CTJ websites. For CTJ specifically, the public affairs manager will develop, curate, and maintain content.
·Other duties as assigned.
. We seek candidates with a minimum of three to seven years of experience in communications, outreach, grassroots campaigns, or public affairs. Ideal applicants will have a creative streak, be willing to try new things, have a bachelor’s degree, and be driven to change systems via advocacy.
Salary Range: $65,000 to $80,000 commensurate with experience
Location: This position is based in Washington, DC.
ITEP provides the following benefits (subject to the terms and conditions of the employee handbook):
· ITEP pays 100 percent of the premium for health and dental insurance for you and your family members.
· ITEP provides a 403 (B) plan and contributes 10% of employee’s salary to the plan.
· ITEP recognizes all federal holidays, as well as Election Day and Juneteenth, and closes its office the week between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day.
· Employees may take paid leave for vacation and sick time at their discretion, with advance notice and approval from their supervisor. ITEP provides 12 weeks of paid parental leave. After five years of consecutive employment at ITEP, staff are eligible for a 6-week paid sabbatical.
$65k - 75k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply, please e-mail a resume and cover letter with the subject line "ATTN: Public Affairs Manager" to [email protected] Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We anticipate reviewing applications after January 4.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert