Director of Development
Breakthrough Silicon Valley
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Youth Development
City: San Jose
Postal code: 95126
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
Breakthrough Silicon Valley prepares motivated students with limited educational opportunities for success in rigorous college-preparatory high school programs and entry into four-year colleges.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley also prepares outstanding high school and college students to enter careers in education.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley launches talented but underserved middle school students on the path to college, while at the same time inspiring high school and college students to become educators. While ambitious in our goals, BTSV works: a stunning 99% of BTSV graduates are accepted into four-year colleges and 80% of Teaching Fellows are inspired to pursue a career in education as a result of their summer experience.
Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s tuition-free program provides year-round out-of-school time academic support, advising, and advocacy for a diverse group of talented students, most of whom come from under-resourced communities and are the first in their family to go to college. Through our students-teaching-students model, Breakthrough also provides a consummate professional development experience in education by providing talented high school and college students the opportunity to design and teach classes under the direction of seasoned education professionals.
Located in San Jose, California, Breakthrough Silicon Valley is an affiliate of The Breakthrough Collaborative, a leading voice in the work toward educational equity that acts as the national voice for 24 Breakthrough sites across the country.
The Director of Development (DoD) will lead the revenue strategy and fundraising efforts for BTSV to meet and surpass FY21’s annual revenue goal of approximately $1.5M, while working to increase revenue year-over-year moving forward. As a key member of BTSV’s four-person executive team, the DoD will partner with leadership to set organizational priorities to increase our impact, and will partner closely with BTSV’s engaged Board of Directors. The DoD will report directly to the Executive Director (ED), and will lead a small team, managing one full-time Development professional and one part-time consultant who are responsible for all fundraising and communication activities.
The Director will be responsible for managing the planning and implementation of a growing fundraising program focused on significantly increasing the size and scope of BTSV’s portfolio of funders. They will develop and implement strategies that are informed by ambitious revenue goals, and devise, track, and analyze results to inform future efforts. They will be expected to understand the needs and interests of donors and prospects, think strategically, make recommendations, offer creative solutions, effectively build relationships, communicate and collaborate with supporters and colleagues, and devise and manage systems to continually grow and improve BTSV’s donor experience.
Additionally, the DoD will manage a portfolio of donors across funding streams, will lead BTSV’s event strategy, including one large annual gala, and will support the effective deployment of the Executive Director and Board of Directors to broaden the depth and breadth of the organization’s donor base. This is an exciting opportunity for a Development leader who is prepared to excel and advance professionally in a fast-paced, ambitious organization.
Responsibilities and Functions
Fundraising Strategy Development
- Implement and manage the execution of BTSV’s FY21 Development Plan to meet or exceed annual revenue goal
- Based on lessons learned, in future fiscal years, enhance the annual Development Plan, share recommendations with the Executive Director and Board, and lead them and the development team in execution of the plan
- Partner with ED to align annual development vision and goals with the organization’s strategic priorities
- Work in collaboration with the ED and Board to create a long-term sustainability plan for the organization
Fundraising, Events and Communications Execution
- Actively work with the ED and Board to execute the approved development strategy, staffing both appropriately to advance their portfolios of prospects and donors
- Cultivate new prospects and effectively steward current supporters to secure first-time, renewed and increased gifts from individuals, including major donors, foundations, and corporate partners
- Oversee an Institutional Giving program, including managing the full moves management process and the work of a contracted grant writing firm, and writing and/or reviewing proposals and reports, as necessary
- Plan and lead the annual execution of donor communications, both print and digital, focused on fundraising and stewardship, including annual appeals, annual report, newsletters, social media, website, among others
- Manage the development and execution of cultivation, fundraising, stewardship and volunteer events
- Grow annual gala to increase revenue and further build a donor pipeline
- Manage the annual budget setting process in partnership with the ED, developing budgeted and stretch goals
- Manage the department’s budget and effectively communicate budget decisions and parameters to team
- Based on the approved budgeted and stretch revenue goals, set clear annual performance goals for actions and revenue for all staff, and develop tracking procedures to monitor and adjust to meet and surpass goals
- Monitor and report key fundraising deliverables and performance measures to ED and board
- Partner with the BTSV teams to ensure the accurate, timely, high-quality reporting of BTSV program and other data to donors
Team Management and Organizational Leadership
- Supervise one full-time employee, and oversee relationships with any consultants hired to execute BTSV’s Development and Communications strategies
- Identify and hire new staff members, while ensuring professional development and effective mentorship of development staff
- Work in concert with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and its Development Committee to deepen the Board's fundraising and advocacy role
- Oversee all department activities related to ongoing day-to-day fundraising operations efforts including, but not limited to, gift processing, record keeping, and reporting
- Be an active participant and contributor on Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s executive leadership team, and build meaningful relationships with staff organization-wide
- 5+ years of professional experience and a track record of success in non-profit fundraising with at least one year of proven successful large-scale fundraising event planning and on-the-ground execution
- Successful experience growing a major gifts portfolio, and executing effective moves management processes
- Excellent project management skills, and ability to conceptualize, execute and track to achieve goals
- Experience collaborating with a Board of Directors or other VIP stakeholders (HNWIs, Honorees, etc.)
- Data-driven with the ability to achieve results, working against tight deadlines with competing interests
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to multi-task
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial in resource-constrained environments
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and always exhibit a high level of discretion, diplomacy, and integrity
- Proficiency with and knowledge of Salesforce strongly preferred
- Embraces “Breakthrough Spirit.” A collaborative team-player, who is committed to excellence and open-minded, demonstrates a growth-mindset, thinks creatively to solve problems, and works with a sense of humor and humility
- Experience hiring, training, and retaining high performing Development professionals
- Experience within a youth development or educational organization is a plus
Compensation and Benefits
- Required to work occasional evenings and weekends based on events and activities
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive Health Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision health coverage and life insurance
- Retirement Benefits: 401(k) plan with company matching opportunity
- Generous paid time-off: 15 days plus 11 holidays and two "shut-down" weeks
- Professional development fund for professional growth and learning opportunities
$100k - 120k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit an application online via: https://app.trinethire.com/companies/1327-breakthrough-silicon-valley/jobs/32422-director-of-development
Incomplete applications without a cover letter and resume will not be considered. We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please direct questions to: [email protected]
Breakthrough engages with individuals of all backgrounds and we are committed to embracing diversity within our organization, including developing a team who represents the communities we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer Breakthrough is committed to providing employment opportunities to all individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more at www.breakthroughsv.org.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert